Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 October 2009
After being disappointed with "Living with the dead" I'm pleased to say I loved Frostbitten. I like the way that Clay and Elena's relationship has evolved. I enjoyed the mythology of the werewolves. The backstory of Elena's childhood and how it still affects her added tp the story and made her more..human. I read the book in a day and felt sad when I had finished it. What more could you want from a book?
on 5 March 2012
Frostbitten is just one of the many very entertaining Kelley Armstrong books. I'm pleased to say I've read every book in the Series up to Spellbound as well the YA books and her online fiction. It shows dedication to the series that she wants you to know the characters so deeply... anyway I digress. Frostbitten is one of my favourites as Elena and the Pack are definitely my preferred characters - This book has everything from them struggling with being in the pack to normal parental issues. Without giving anything away we get some new information about their heritage, make some new friends along the way and encounter some not so friendly mutts as well. I promise you will not regret reading this book!Frostbitten: A new hunt begins . . . and an ancient secret is revealed (Women of the Otherworld)
on 26 October 2009
Once again Kelley Armstrong combines thriller, supernatural and romance into one book. I am always disappointed when I finish - I just want the story to go on and on. To see into the life of werewolves, to chase the bad guys, to meet up with more supernaturals is bliss on paper. Keep the stories coming - I love them.
Lets begin by saying that Bitten is my 2nd favourite book of all time and its the book that started me off with my love and fascination of all things paranormal.
I love Elena, she is a complex character who faced her own struggles to get where she has and this story is a continuation of that, i was not a big fan of the other women in the underworld series, and i am glad that Kelley has decided to focus on the Werewolves again.
Im not going to create a storyline as what annoys me most about reviews is that people give away the plot and that winds me up, all i will tell you is that its a definite must buy, set in Wonderful brutal Alaska and let you make up your own minds.
Hope you all enjoy it as much as i did!!
on 16 January 2010
If you have ever read and enjoyed Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake's series you will know what I mean when I say that the otherworld series started brilliantly but with this book I am concerned that the storylines will become weaker and the amount of sex will become more. What is basically a weak story (we were out walking in the woods one day and wooo look what we found) fleshed out with Clayton and Elena in an almost perpetual clinch, is nevertheless readable and, once you are past the first half of the book the story rollicks along.

The book is readable, but not great and I hope she gets back on track in future books, even if they take longer to produce.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 October 2009
Having loved 'The Women of the Otherworld' series so far, I was disappointed with this latest book by Kelley Armstrong. I very much like the characters of Elena and Clay but prefer it when they interact more with other Supernaturals as well as the human world. 'Frostbitten' mostly focuses on just the two of them and that, combined with the remote location of the action made it far too confined for my liking.

I also found the constant references to Elena's potential new role becoming tedious after a while and that whole storyline just seemed totally forced. Did I miss something in previous books? Where did Elena's 'past' come from all in a sudden? Call me cynical, but it does seem that that particular skeleton in the cupboard is all the rage at the moment. I found it difficult to reconcile how I feel the Elena from previous books would have coped with how the one in 'Frostbitten' deals with it.

All in all, obviously, if you are a fan of the series, you will want to read this one, but it is definitely geared toward the Elena and Clay fans specifically, rather that those that like me enjoyed the way their world was expanding. If you are new to 'The Women of the Otherworld'... don't let my less than enthusiastic comments put you off. It is an overall excellent series and you should start with the first one 'Bitten'. By the time you get this far into the series, you'll be quite happy to make up your own mind about 'Frostbitten'.

Update: I have just re-read the series and in response to some of the comments, paid more attention to any mention of Elena's past. I am still not reconciled to the storyline but agree that my description of 'sudden' appearance was probably a bit too strong. Especially if readers have read the story about how Elena and Clay met (now published in 'Tales of the Otherworld') they would feel less surprised by the turn of events in this book. In my case, it had been some years since I had read that little gem on Kelley's website and my picture of Elena was more that of the 'in control' person of the later books. Still, this resurrection of the past is a bit too fashionable a topic in literature these days for me to be totally happy with it and for me personally, the book is ok, but I don't like it that much, hence the three stars.

By the way... if you have not yet read how Elena and Clay met, it is well worth buying 'Tales of the Otherworld' just for that.
66 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 September 2012
Elena Michaels has finally accepted her life as a werewolf after years of internal struggle so when she and Clay are sent to Alaska with the twin missions of tracking down a mutt and investigating a series of gruesome murders she expects a simple job. The truth is a lot more complicated and Elena soon finds herself forced to confront the horrors of her past while realising that there are other, older supernatural races hidden in the frozen terrain that may threaten her very existence.

This is the tenth book in the Otherworld series (which started with Bitten) and not only features the return of Elena Michaels as narrator but also a return to form after a couple of less enjoyable books. If you are a new reader I'd definitely recommend beginning at the start of the series as this book is really the culmination of Elena's adventures over the last nine books.

Coming back to Elena as a narrator means coming back to the relationship between her and Clay which has changed to a more balanced settled family status with their twins. The romance and passion is still there though. It also means that Elena's pre-werewolf past is revisited and she is given the opportunity to deal and move on, a task made more difficult by the revelation that Jeremy expects her to replace him as Alpha of the Pack. Clay is also struggling with the damage left to his arm from a previous installment and is left questioning if he is still strong enough to protect Elena.

The storyline is densely plotted and packed with twists and turns, and the change of setting means that Alaska gets contrasted with the previous locations of the series. It is vastly different and the location is incredibly well developed and described, almost taking on a life of its own. The book is also fast paced and I was glued to the page throughout. I loved how new characters were gradually introduced and how Elena and the Pack formed new alliances, especially with the Russian Pack.

The idea of other supernatural races that the main community doesn't know about has been featured in some of Kelley Armstrong's books (both her adult Otherworld series and her YA trilogies), but the introduction of a precursor race to werewolves is interesting. The creatures are quite scary in how they are introduced and it definitely adds a new layer to the book.

All in all, this was a great read and I'm looking forward to Waking The Witch.

Plot: 10/10
Characters: 10/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Cover: 9/10

Overall: 49/50
on 20 January 2013
FROSTBITTEN (WOTO # 10) by Kelley Armstrong

FROSTBITTEN is the tenth full-length storyline in Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series and reunites some of our favourite werewolves. Clay and Elena, with the eventual help of Antonio and Nick, are on the hunt for a couple of rogue werewolves who have been terrorizing a small Alaskan community leaving a trail of grizzly murders and missing women in their wake. As the representative for the American pack, Elena sets out to investigate the recent reports of mysterious wolf killings, but will discover that the kills are anything but natural. Leaving behind their twins with Jaime and Jeremy, Clay and Elena will have their hands full with a runaway young wolf, the Russian pack and several mutts hoping to make an impression as a new upstart pack to be feared.

Frostbitten is a storyline that uncovers a little known species of ancient shape-shifters known as the Wendigo that prefer to keep their identity a secret. The rogue mutts will force the quiet and reclusive species into the roll of protector when they discover the remains of a werewolf and the bodies of several young women. But when old memories and one-time pack members resurface from Clay's past, Elena will find herself in the unenviable position as the bait to trap Clay and the others.

Frostbitten introduces us to several new werewolves including Noah, Reese and Morgan. Kelley will offer up a number of short stories involving the young werewolves, including the December 2012 release of Forbidden- a storyline featuring Morgan Walsh. Nick will also become the surrogate father to a couple of reluctant newcomers to the pack, and the alpha elect for the American pack will be revealed-surprising no one but Elena, herself.

Frostbitten is another wonderful and fascinating storyline in Kelley's Women of the Otherworld series. With the introduction of three new werewolves Kelley offers up a world of possibilities for future storylines that will now, only be revealed in a series of novella and anthology type novels.

see all of my reviews at :thereadingcafe(dot)com
on 14 November 2011
This is the first of Kelley Armstrong's books that I have read. Obviously, that means that it is my first from the Otherworld series too.

Frostbitten was recommended to me by friends, despite being in a different genre to anything that I have read in my past. I really didn't think that I would enjoy it too much, but I was more than pleasantly surprised. I would therefore thoroughly recommend it to anyone who has not tried this genre before.

There is a strong plot, and there are masses of strong characters who interact amaxzingly well. There are goodies and baddies, adn there are those who fall in between the two.

Elena is the pack leader (alpha) elect, and she has a relatively normal relationship with her beta male husband, and they have childre n who spend their time wondering where Mum and Dad are. In this book, they have pursued a mutt, who doesn't realise that their intentions are all positively weighted in his direction, to Alaska. However, when they arrive in the frozen north, they are confronted by much bigger problems than they expected. There is absolutely no choice for them other than to clear up the mess, and they put themselves in terrible danger in doing so.

I love the desciptions of the fighting and of the sex scenes. Both have just the right level of detail. Even better, for me, are the graphic descriptions of how it feels to change from human into wolf and back again. The pros and cons of being in each form are brought out very well too.

This book is a great introduction to the genre, and I shall definitely be picking up others, especially from this author.
on 20 June 2013
Elena and Clay are back and this time they are headed to Alaska.

A young Australian werewolf has been framed and Elena is trying to help the guy. However whenever he sees her, he assumes her chainsaw wielding husband is not far behind and runs away to Alaska. Elena and Clay follow him there and use it as an opportunity to investigate some cases of missing girls that have all the markings or werewolf kills. Unfortunately the werewolves are Russian gun runners who also have a reputation for preying on women. As a former victim of abuse, Elena is forced to confront some of the demons from her past which have her doubting if she is strong enough to be the Pack Alpha. At the same time, the werewolves are confronted with an ancient legend in the Alaskan wilderness.

I still really liked this book but it is probably my least favourite in the whole series despite it being narrated by my favourite character Elena. The story of Elena confronting her past in preparation for the position of Alpha was quite emotional and she really goes through a traumatic time. I think the only reason I gave this book a four star was because I didn't really like the story about the shape shifters. Other than that it is still a great story and as usual Elena is a great character to read about.