Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 March 2016
As a huge Dresden fan I finally got round to reading the Codex Alera series this year and I'm so glad I did. The books are fantastically readable;there are engaging characters, great settings and a compelling story line-what more could you ask for.
The tone of these books are completely different from the Dresden Files but they are just as well written and just as addictive. These are very much 'traditional' fantasy books but for me that is most definitely not a negative point.
So if you like fantasy, enjoy Jim Butcher and want a series of books that you won't be able to put down then the Codex Alera is for you.
Enjoy.
on 13 July 2010
Just finished the sixth (and final) one of this series and really enjoyed them.

Highly recommended as a fantasy series

I finally got them on the basis of the being a fan of The Dresden Files, so I had high hopes, and I started reading as I had just got the sixth (and final) one ... I hate having to wait for a year between each book in a series, my memory is awful !

I did struggle to get going in the first book, but I'm very glad I persisted.

Ok, the books are not some deep cerebral world shattering tome, but you're not expecting that.
What they are is good entertaining fantasy with a nice world, plenty of ideas, grand battles and good vs evil.
The switch in each book from nothing through Academ, Cursor, Captain, Princeps and finally First Lord was a nice idea, along with the changes in the "enemy". It was interesting to see the threads of plot stretch across the series. Each book is a stand-alone story, but they form that "arc" that makes all the great series.

I was cheering for the good guys all the way to the end ... Tavi, Kitai, Isana, Amara, Karg, Max, Marcus and many more.

Go out and buy the set ... you'll enjoy them
on 30 March 2010
fourth book in the codex alera and it gets better, things have moved on since book 3 , tavi has grown into the command of the first aleran and this seems to put a few noses out of joint, his identity is at last revealed as gaius octavian and the action begins, he has the usual group of loyal followers with him and ....... no i won`t tell you how it goes just read the book, jim butchers easy style and attention to detail makes this most enjoyable, just like the others,it can almost be read on its own but its worth reading the first three just to soak up the world he has created, well recomended !!!!!!
on 31 January 2015
I must admit these books wouldn't normally be to my taste, as there is alot of war and fighting, and alot of the books are taken up with strategy and war craft, but the story is so good and they are so well written that I've loved them. I would also recommend Jim Butchers other series of Harry Dresden books, they completely different but very very good.
on 22 February 2017
I read this series after completing the Dresden files.
I was worried it might be too similar, but it isn't. It's also a great series.
on 22 November 2016
This series of books are a fast passed joy to read. Appealing to fantasy and war story lovers. I introduced my husband to be to these books and he loves them to.
on 20 March 2016
Continuing saga, with all the usual components, and a cast of likeable engaging characters. Well worth reading the series.
on 23 September 2016
as before you find yourself not wanting to put it down. just right for the small hours read
on 3 August 2015
I found the book to be hard work to begin with, but persevered with it and found that it got much easier. Looking forward to book five now.
on 21 September 2014
good if you enjoy fantasy series- I like this author from the Dresden files, and this is different, but still fun to read