Format: Paperback|Change

Anne Rice may be rolling on the floor with laughter at Christopher Moore's allusions to her Vampire Lestat and the conventions of the "vampire genre." With an imagination that's wild, irreverent, hyper, sexy, and just plain wacky, Moore has created vampires have the some of the same abilities and needs as Rice's, but Moore's vampires inhabit their own crazy world. Here there is even a good, innocent, fledgling vampire, like Jody Stroud, forced by events beyond her control to be a vampire, and an evil vampire who performs gruesome crimes and tries to frame her.
Jody, the unwilling vampire, even has a lover who wants to help her and who continues to live with her, more or less taking her vampirism for granted, or at most considering it just another way in which she "does her own thing." As would-be writer Tommy Flood tries to save Jody from blame for several murders in the seamier parts of San Francisco, described with a great deal of tongue-in-cheek humor, he enlists his buddies on the midnight to eight a.m. shift of a supermarket, who put aside their turkey-bowling (a 12-lb frozen Butterball knocks down more Ivory Liquid bottles than a 14-pounder) to help out.
The book is both hilarious and intriguing, with more crazy, unexpected plot twists than one finds in a whole shelf of traditional murder mysteries. The hardest part of reading Christopher Moore is rationing oneself to just one book at a time! Mary Whipple
on 3 December 2015
I have to say first up that I am not a vampire fan boy. I don't watch the TV shows or read all the series of the genre. I do like a laugh though and I understand that Moore writes funny stories.
I picked this because the reviews were promising and it seemed a decent first dive into Moore's work. My thoughts? Well it was OK. It was fine. It was engaging, I kept reading. I quite enjoyed it.
Did I rush to buy the next one? No. I guess the main thing I would say is that I just didn't find it very funny. I can't remember laughing at all in fact.
I don't want to say it was bad, it wasn't. It was fine - an easy, enjoyable read, no more.
If you are really into vampire stories maybe you'd enjoy it more.
on 8 April 2005
Is she special? (asks the gay waiter)" I thinks she's going to break my heart" On arrival of the girl" The flannel is fine honey,but I have'nt seen anyone that over accesorized since batman!
forget the title and the cover, its not a book about vampires, it just has two vampires in it purely for comic effect, and to give it a little edge. Listen, how many tv programs have the same old plot, but the ones you watch are the ones where you relate to the characters. You will not dislike one character in this book, each one is instantly fleshed out and only a monk could say they don't know a Tommy.
Bottom line there are some stunning set peices esp the gay waiter and side splitting one liners.
on 18 September 2012
Excellent book from a writer who should be better known in the UK. Funny, sharp, good characters, and did I mention he is funny? A unique take and antidote to the current sentimentalised and formulaic vampire genre - a kind of literary garlic. I've read several of his books now, including the two others in this series. Recommended.
Christopher Moore has writer's magic. Reading "Bloodsucking Fiends" was a joy. Words flowed in and around my brain engaging me in his version of San Fransisco.

There are very few things I know about San Fransisco. I have seen its Golden Gate Bridge in movies, Alcatraz is somewhere nearby and it was one of the first places where you could openly hold hands with one of your own gender without getting beaten or killed within the first few minutes. Oh, and the gold rush. Must not forget the gold rush and a couple of tinee tiny fires.

Actually, now that I think about it San Fransisco has been part of several books that I have read, but not until "Bloodsucking Fiends" did San Fransisco settle in my mind. There were two contributing factors to San Fransisco becoming part of my repertoire. One was The Emperor. The Emperor was the most loveable character of the whole story and I don't really know why that is. The other factor was Tommy moving from Incontinence, Indiana to San Fransisco. That combination was one of the funniest moments in the story for me. The US being the US I actually wondered if there was a place called Incontinence in Indiana, but looking it up left me empty-handed.

Then we have Jody's mother. Jody had forgotten to phone her mother the month she became a vampire because Jody had not gotten her period. She would combine the two most unpleasant things in her life to get the unpleasantness over with. Not getting my period ever again is certainly one advantage to becoming a vampire that would appeal to me.

Details like this are some of the many things that made "Bloodsucking Fiends" as fun as it was. That moment when Tommy walked into the store the first time and owned the Animals. Or the time when Jody decides she has had enough questions and asks Tommy one of her own.

"Men are pigs: Fact or fiction?"

"Fact!" Tommy shouted.

"Correct! You win." She leaped into his arms and kissed him.

Finally I got to read a story with the kind of romance that I understand. Christopher Moore's irreverent take on homelessness, gender, stratification, relationships and stalking will probably end up being a repeat read for me.

on 8 July 1999
This is the first Moore book I read.Since then I have purchased the rest and love them all!Ive never laughed out loud so much for any other book. I recomend this book to all of my frends and to all of you fiends out there as well!
on 3 March 2013
My missus recommended this to me. While we do tend to read the same genre's we don't necessarily enjoy the same authors all the time (with a few notable exceptions like Charles Stross). So having been reading a lot recently I was quite looking forward to this book. Sadly I was somewhat disappointed. While it is not deep or provocative, it is a really good idea fairly well written. I suspect it is a book for women as it deals more with relationships than most 'modern' horror. It does not really have the suspense or sense of anticipation I get with other horrors. So while it's not a bad book, for me at least it left me feeling like I had read a cheap detective story where you knew after the 1st 3 chapters what the ending would be, and it was just a case of going through how the author decided to get there. BUT - some of the characters are brilliant. For me, the two policemen were the standout pair, but aside from the main 2 characters (Jody and Tommy), all the rest were brilliantly amusing.

Summary - worth reading this as the first of the series to see if you like the style. If you do, you'll want the rest of the series, if you don't at least it might give you more of an insight into women!
on 28 May 2012
Christopher Moore has an amazing imagination. As I read Bloodsucking Fiends and, a while back, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, I kept asking myself, "Where do all his ideas come from?"

This story is both creative and funny. It is different to any other vampire story that you have read, or will ever read, unless somebody plagiarises Moore.

Tommy is the leader of a gang of oddball supermarket shelf-stackers. Jody is a novice vampire. The two of them form what one would normally consider to be an unlikely alliance. But, once I have told you that every event and character in this book is unlikely, you will reconsider.

Tommy and Jody set out on a mission to survive. Murders happen around them throughout their journey. A centuries-old vampire provides elements of tension and extreme danger. The San Francisco police. particarly two contrasting detectives, bungle their way into and through the adventure.

Each of the members of The Animals plays a part, and they are all great fun as well as, like most of the characters in this book, having their dark sides.

I can go no further without mentioning my favourite character in the whole book: The Emperor. This old man is the self-styled Emperor of San Francisco and Protector of Mexico. He is supported by "his men," who turn out to be two dogs equipped to do battle against the "vicious, murdering fiend who has been stalking his City." This guy is respected by everyone, and he becomes Tommy's best friend and ally.

I can't say too much more without spoiling it for you, except that you should watch out for the turtles.

Now you are asking yourself if I am crazy, but I kid you not. There are so many surprises in this book. Now that I have finished, I want to go back and read it all over again. It was that good!

The one negative comment that I would make, is that I don't see this as a love story. The two main characters make use of each other, and they do declare their love for each other, but there is no romance. Perhaps that will come in the next book in the series, You Suck.

Sadly, my to-read shelf is groaning and beckoning me to pick up the next, fresh volume to relieve some of the weight that she carries.

You really MUST make space in your life for Bloodsucking Fiends. Highly recommended.
B.F is the story of Jody, who is attacked on her way home from. When she awakens she discovers she's more dead then alive. Tommy is a wannabe writer, and is working in a supermarket. When the two meet a hilarious love story begins.
Christopher Moore takes mundane things from everyday life and describes them in a eye-watering funny way, which only he can. All the characters are vividly brought alive, and all have at least one gag. But then Chris can turn the story round to a sobering issue, blending it together seamlessly.
Scenes to watch out for include;
* the tattooed man
* Tommy and the detectives
* Jody's mum and the turtle
* Jody shopping for the LBD
on 20 October 2014
This is a wonderfully funny trilogy, which represent CM at his best, although the middle book was not quite at the same level of excellence as the first and third installments. You do not need to be a fan of the vampire genre to appreciate this book, although readers of a delicate nature should think twice.

Author of Hopeless, Hapless and Headless - A Soccer Story