Customer reviews

on 21 January 2008
Iron Kissed has two main plotlines. The first deals with Mercy having to make a choice between the two men in her (love)life. Adam - the Alpha of the local werewolf pack, and Sam her childhood sweetheart (also an Alpha). It's a decision she needs to make soon, before there's bloodshed.

The second plot is the mystery of the book. Several Fae have been murdered out at the Fae reservation and Zee (her old boss) takes Mercy there, to see if her 'coyote' nose can track the murderer. Although it initially seems like everything is resolved, Zee ends up being charged with murder and Mercy feels it's up to her to prove his innocence. Whether he wants her help or not.

Although I don't think it's essential to have read the previous books in the series to follow Iron Kissed. You'd be missing out on two great stories if you didn't read Moon Called (Bk1) and Blood Bound (Bk2). Plus the build up to the Adam/Mercy/Samuel plotline and a lot of the background as to how the Mercy Thompson Universe works and the relationship/family set ups of the various species groups is in those books.

One thing I very much enjoy about the series is how in each book we learn more about the characters and their relationships. One of my favourite things is how the dynamics of the werewolf pack is explored. The scene between Ben and Adam at the end was one of the most powerful in the book, especially when Ben is having trouble expressing himself.

"It's easier to get forgiveness than permission."

For me this quote is at the heart of the book. In a way this has been Mercy's attitude since we first met her in Moon Called, and probably has a lot to do with growing up as a coyote in a werewolf pack. It's a very easy thing to say when you have no way of knowing what the consequences of your actions will be.

Some of Iron Kissed is very difficult to read. Patricia Briggs doesn't pull back, her characters have to deal with the consequences of their actions. There are no get out clauses here. Sometimes there isn't an easy solution and it isn't always easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. Especially when the person you have to forgive is yourself.

The temptation to skip ahead when reading this book to see where the story is going, is almost overwhelming. It's a story that once you start reading you can't stop. The Mercy Thompson series gets better with every book and in my opinion it's one of the best urban fantasy series around at the moment. If you love urban fantasy and you aren't reading the Mercy Thompson series, then I really think you should be.
11 Comment| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 January 2009
Patricia Briggs is rapidly establishing a place on my top ten list of fiction writers I will read unconditionally. This is another from my comfort-reading booklist that came courtesy of a self-Santa order to Amazon. I gulped this book down in two sittings (and only took a break because by 6.00 a.m. I thought I should try and get a few hours sleep). At less than 300 pages it's a quick read - quick too because of the roaring pace - but Briggs never sacrifices character for either plot or pace.

This is the third Mercy Thompson book. Mercy is a self-employed garage mechanic with a history degree. She is also a walker, a Native American shape-changer, maybe the last of her kind, whose other form is a coyote. Raised by werewolves, she knows just how deadly they can be and in the last two books, `Blood Bound' and `Moon Called', we saw Mercy getting drawn into the increasingly violent world inhabited by werewolf, vampire and fey as well as humans who can barely comprehend what they've only recently begun to be aware of. As a coyote amongst wolves she's an outsider, as a walker amongst humans she's an outsider, as a non-fey amongst fey she's so far outside that she's on a different world, but when she has her nose in the engine of an old VW she's entirely at home. Her life is complicated by the fact that she must decide between two loves, both werewolves: her old flame Samuel and the alpha of the local pack, Adam, who makes her blood boil for two entirely opposing reasons. Briggs werewolves are not nice. Bad-tempered doesn't even begin to cover the barely-held-in check killing rage that they have to deal with on a day-to-day basis. It makes them grouchy, to say the least, but they are entirely three dimensional characters, swinging - sometimes wildly - between human and wolf.

In this book Mercy's friend and mechanic-mentor, Zee, an ancient fey with the ability to work iron, is accused of a (human) murder he didn't commit and it seems as though the rest of the fey are happy enough to let him take the (fatal) fall for it as long as it means the law doesn't come snooping around their reservation. Mercy's stubborn loyalty draws her in to a dangerous hunt for the real killer that brings her into closer contact that she ever thought she wanted with the world of the fey and causes conflict with and between her two potential werewolf lovers (remember those tempers?). It's time to choose between Samuel and Adam, but how can she choose when she loves them both? It may not matter in the end because after some close brushes with death in the form of a Kelpie Mercy's eventual discovery of the real killer puts her in mortal danger of the worst kind. By the time she's been through the wringer she's going to need a lot of love an understanding. From a werewolf? Yeah, right!

Highly recommended (but read the others first) and then order the next, Bone Crossed, due later this year.
I bought these early books in the series in pre-kindle days but wanted to have them on my kindle so re bought them. they're a reasonable price. I've lots of books i'd love to have on kindle, i hope the US scheme to let readers but kindle versions at discount comes to UK!! Please Amazon :-) These are all really well writtne novels, full of action and advnture, characters that feel real, danger that feels genuine and capped off with the romnce between Adam and Marcy running through all the books. Definatley one for keepers and re reading - and i've just gone through the whole sereis again, along with the Aspen Creek spinoffs.
on 28 April 2017
Love this series. A bit different from other paranormal books but that just makes it better reading. Have read the first three books in two days. Am now gonna read the next one
on 14 September 2017
Best in the series so far... and the previous ones were very good too!
Some extremely difficult situations written very very well. Mercy is definitely a survivor.
This is the second time I've read this book and I still cried at the conversation between Adam and Ben at the end.
Very highly recommended.
on 5 August 2017
I love this series, the right balance of humour, action and a love and a journey I want to keep reading about.
on 29 September 2008
.... I loved reading about the Fae, learning more about them; I loved the story of Mercy choosing between Samuel and Adam; but more than anything I was incredibly impressed with how she handled the ending of the book. I don't want to spoil anything because this book should be read, but I cried when I read the end chapters, it felt like my heart was being wrenched from my chest.

My understanding of Ben grew, my respect for Mercy and what she wants to be - this was my favourite of all the books.
on 16 June 2016
a bit ruffled around the edges but otherwise okay. I haven't read it yet.
on 28 April 2016
It is ok
on 19 August 2008
Following on from the previous Blood books this one seems to conclude Mercedes' relationships, but at an awful price. I don;t really like revealing plots becasue its a real spoiler, so instead let me assure you that the standard of writing is as good as in the other books in the series. Tehy also included somewhat serious themes but this one was in places harrowing to read if you have empathy for the heroine! I suppose this is what separates Briggs form other, softer writers who dabble in the genre - she is a genuine fantasy writer, and its just coincided that everybody now is writing werewolf/ghost/paranormal romance stuff, a lot of which frankly seems to be utter schematic tosh. This book shows that she can write the real deal, which is quite affecting. I mean that I genuinely was surprised by where the plot went, and how it got there. Anyway, this is a really good conclusion to the series! The standard was as high as always and I look forward to her future offerings.