Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 May 2017
A great read
on 8 February 2009
Fans of the Republic Commando series by Karen Traviss will love this book. It provides an excellent ending to the series and sets up the forthcoming Imperial Commando novel series very well. The best part of the novel is the final section once Order 66 has been put in place; the story pumps up the tension and has a twist at the end which I certainly did not see coming. Not wanting to add a spolier here, but it wasn't the happy ending I thought was being set up.
on 1 February 2009
Words cannot describe enough about this book. The final book in a coolection of 4. This book has everything a Starwars fan would want. Equal to or better than the other three you decide, but truly awesome, never the less.

5 Stars do not miss this book. Add it to your Star Wars collection, because Karren Travis has made this book and the other three about the best Storey in the entire Star wars Universe.

Dont Miss Out!!!!!
on 5 September 2011
This is what the series has been building up to and you will not be disappointed !
The twists and turns leading up to the inevitable will keep you hooked ! I couldnt put it down. This is an ultimate series for star wars fans, i for one will miss karen traviss input in the star wars universe . I mourn the work she could of done with the star wars universe.
on 21 October 2008
Wow. Just . . . wow. This is a hard one to review without giving away too much, especially if you've not read the three previous novels in the series. But I'll take a crack at it.

Karen Traviss hooked me with her first "Republic Commando" book, "Hard Target," showing excellent storytelling, good character development, and intensive research into the fictional universe about which she was writing. Her second book in the series, "Republic Commando: Triple Zero" beautifully developed the characters even further. By the third book, "Republic Commando: True Colors," I was cheering for just about everyone, including the formerly unlikeable Walon Vau. This is now the fourth "Republic Commando" book, and I was poleaxed that I found it EVEN BETTER than the previous novels in the series.

The story starts over fifty years prior to the Battle of Geonosis, where the Mandalorian warrior Munin Skirata adopts a small war-orphan, upon whom he bestows the new name "Kal." The rest of the story skips ahead to the late days of the Clone Wars, up to the issuing of the galaxy-changing and titular Order 66 and slightly beyond, taking in all the consequences of everyone's decisions, taking some shocking twists and turns. And I'm sorry, but I can't possibly go into much more plot detail without spoiling some major surprises both in this book and those in previous instalments.

Suffice it to say that if you've read and liked the previous novels in the series and grown attached to the characters, you will really, REALLY enjoy this book. I hate to use a trite expression, but "Order 66" really IS an emotional roller-coaster. By page eleven, my eyes were welling up a bit. Later on, I found myself laughing with delight as more great characters were brought in, more gallows humour was cracked, and more loose ends were tied up. Either my brain's turning to sentimental mush, or Karen Traviss is one of the finest military fiction writers living. I prefer to think the latter.

I can't possibly imagine a "Star Wars" novel getting better than this, folks. Kandosii!
on 23 May 2013
Thank Palpatine for Order 66. If it wasn't for this trigger we'd have yet another Republic Commando book where they sit around on their arses doing nothing. Of course, they still spend most of the novel doing nothing but they are at least eventually forced to do something (although Karen Travesty holds out as long as she can even with that).

Travesty must have been looking forward to this, where the evil, callous Jedi finally get their just-deserts and the Clones turn on their oppressors. She's always been keen to point out that the Clones are a slave army but she refuses to allow that the Jedi have been forced into this position too. What was the poignant death of goodness in Revenge of the Sith is cause for celebration for Travis.

The series has been like an ugly pimple that you've endured, waiting for it to come to a head if only for the satisfaction of watching it explode, but instead it oozes a bit of filmy pus and peters out. But don't worry if you're a fan of Darman & co, this is one case of acne that's doomed to return in Imperial Commando and- for no apparent reason- in the Legacy of the Force series.
on 2 December 2014
Really shows how the clone wars really went down and how Palpatine manipulated both sides to become the emperor. Was great to see how much Delta and Omega squad had changed over the series.
on 13 May 2011
This book stunned me.

Hard Contact was a great insight. Triple Zero created brilliant relations. True Colors gave us a strong perspective of the clones' view on the war (more so than previously), as well as tyeing up some loose ends.

Order 66 is just fantastic. The best book in the series so far. On it's own, the book is great, read after the previous three books, it becomes something different, something amazing. There are moments in this book I gritted my teeth, moments I laughed out loud, and moments I came very close to shedding a tear or two.

We've all seen and heard Order 66 from the Jedi perspective and more or less agreed with the Jedi's actions and felt sad (when Yoda clutches his heart at his dying loved ones). This book, however, throws us completely up-ended. Personally, I no longer feel so sad for the Jedi, I feel pity. It was mentioned in previous books at the Jedi's acceptance of a slave army, and the clones didn't sign up for their job. This book just shows how everyone was set up, used and disposed of. Yes, the Jedi had it bad - but the clones went through ten years of brutal training, followed up three more years of struggles and pain of their life, their brothers lives, and their painful realization of a life they will be deprived of - the one we take for granted. I also find myself feeling less sad for the fallen Jedi with the likes of Skirata and Vau - their views may be bold and harsh, but there's a lot of truth to them; this we can see by the simple fact of Jusik and Etain's agreement with them.
The books also fills in a lot of gaps, such as how Grevious is found, for example.
I was not expecting the ending of this book at all, but what makes it even more powerful, is the fact that the series continues (onto Imperial Commando: 501st)
I can't recommend this series enough, if for nothing but to reach this book.
on 21 March 2015
Book's in excellent condition. Would recommend it.
on 23 September 2008
I've been an avid reader of this series, and have been waiting eagerly for Order 66 since finishing True Colo(u)rs. It lived up admirably to my expectations! Your favourite characters are back, and be warned: there are some heart-rending moments....now, go buy the book :)

For me, the Star Wars universe has gotten much more interesting with the addition of the now four-volume Republic Commando series. The ethical questions that my mind raised with the Attack of the Clones movie are addressed and play a large part in shaping events in the series (principally, how the Jedi could preach compassion while using cloned soldiers to fight a war). Karen Traviss's military savvy makes each novel extremely readable, and sci-fi jargon aside, the clones could be the squaddies in any army, in any era: the pawns who bleed and die thanklessly in other peoples's wars. From Hard Contact all the way through to Order 66 and hopefully beyond, we get a clone's eye view of the war, and it's not pretty.

Vor entye, Karen!