Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

I've been a long time fan of Terry Brooks ever since my Uncle introduced his books to me in 1987 and although not my favourite 'mini series' in the Shannara world I did really enjoy this book and it's predecessor Bearers of the Black Staff. I absolutely loved the Word and the Void initial trilogy and was made up when the Genesis of Shannara trilogy was released as few years ago which tied the Shannara world with the Word's servants.

***Warning beginning of the book possible spoilers***
This book continues on from the Bearers of the Black Staff and picks up with Prue Liss trying to escape from the Trolls after Deladion Inch sacrificed himself to save her. There's a new 'player' in the book with a seemingly harmful rag-picker making an appearance which actually is a Demon in disguise. The Demon has sensed the magic from the Black Staff since the valleys protective walls have fallen and is determined to own that magic as his own as he had long thought he had rid the world of the bearers and their black staffs from him systematically hunting them down since the apocalypse. The Demon has also sensed some sort of magic from Prue Liss and is now quickly on her heels. Will Prue escape the Trolls and the Demon?
Panterra Qu has now taken up the black staff following Sider's death and has to make the decision between warning the people of Glensk Wood that the defences at Declan Reach have fallen or going after Prue Liss. He finally makes the decision to warn the people first and then continue on to save Prue not knowing that she has actually already escaped the Trolls camp with Deladion's help.
Phryne Amarantyne is locked up following her Father's murder and accused of being the perpetrator by her wicked Step-Mother Isoeld and the First Minister Teonette. She has not been allowed to contact the outside world to get a message to her Grandmother or to her cousins the Orullian's and is awaiting trial for her Father's murder. With no seeming escape or way of proving her innocence all hope seems lost.

This book definitely picks up pace from the first with the threat of the Troll invasion and now the Demon on the people of the valley. I was glued to the book throughout and it's yet another brilliant book from Terry Brooks. If you liked the Word and the Void and Genesis of Shannara series then I think you will enjoy this series too however I do agree with some of the other reviews that this should probably have been a trilogy and for that reason only I've knocked off a star.

Terry Brooks continues to be my longest standing favourite author and I'm looking forward to his new trilogy Legacy of Shannara which according to his website starts next year with the first book The Wards Of Faerie released in August 2012. For once the other two books in the series will be released within a year (March 2013 & August 2013) so I won't have to wait a year in between each book for once!
on 25 April 2012
Always loved Terry Brookes, dont know why but Ive read everything this guy has printed without complaints. However, I think that this story line is way to similar to his previous writing/novels. I think he needs to refresh his way of thinking in some parts of the story lines. For those that have not read Terry Brookes previous works, well I guess you will throughly enjoy this second helping! The story continues, mankind and elven are fighting for there homeland, which was protected with magic, now the magic is down and they have to come face to face with an invading Troll army and a Demon who will stop at nothing to get what he desires..mainly the Magic Rod carried by the Staff Bearer.
It weaves in and out of there lives, as the story progresses, mainly running around a forest, being hungry, thirsty and trying to save mankind from the invasion and this rather miffed off ancient demon. It does continue to repeat itself from different prespectives, but I guess hes just trying to fill out the pages.He does however make the characters feel real, and somewhere you feel for them as they ramble on through the book. And I do MEAN Ramble! Will get the third book, as I dont want to miss out on the ending. However, I do feel a bit of a let down, as the areas he writes about are very very familiar with his other older works. FOur stars as I enjoyed it, but did flick through a few ramblings as they were repetative. Four stars.
As a fan of Terry's writing, readers have long wanted to know how the world developed from the Knights of the Word to the world of Shannara which began in the first tale of the Legends of Shannara series, Bearer of the Black Staff. As with the original it is well written, the characters within helping to expand the detail and above all else it's the clever twists and Terry's ability to portray the spirit of man feeling within his work that really comes into its own.

Add to this some cracking twists, a great sense of pace and prose that really grips you in its fist until the last page and the reader will be left gasping for more. Great stuff all round although prior to reading this book I really do suggest that you start with the first title prior in order to get the full effect. Whilst this may come across as a mini world series that might not appeal to all, it is cleverly devised and for fans of Terry's work it's an absolute must have.
on 21 June 2012
Well it's book two of a duology (is that a word?) and not a trilogy as I've come to expect from the author and it works very well. I had read a less favourable review here but it was nonsense. The two books are a very enjoyable read and I can happily recommend them. If you're a Terry Brooks fan you'll enjoy the worlds and the characters and the brushes with his other artefacts and races that go along with it. This book even managed to surprise me on occasion in a very gripping way. Buy them read them enjoy them. The man is a master story teller, and I can't get enough of these very enjoyable stories that he weaves so well.

Review written on the iPad on which I "kindle read" both books. My first kindle experience and a very positive one at that.
on 6 January 2014
Can't believe that she died, I couldn't even finish the last two chapters, I kind of knew he was going to kill a major character but still. It was really good I think I might read more of Terry's books. I am actually trying to write my own book and he was giving me many ideas.
on 8 April 2012
Firstly, any comments about price and speed of delivery are completely irrelevant- they refer to Amazon, not the book.
Okay, on to the book itself. I have been a Brooks fan for many years as I find his style very light and easy to read. He has been criticised for this very thing by certain fans of the genre, but I prefer an easy read to heavy going.
The first thing that stands out is that the three main characters all have names beginning with 'P'. Why Brooks chose to do this I have no idea- it introduces unnecessary confusion, particularly in the early stages.
As I have pointed out, I am a long-time Brooks fan and I really wanted to like this book, but there were too many issues for me to be able to so do.
Other readers have pointed out that the action is fast-paced, which is true, but this is done to the detriment of plot and character development. I felt that Brooks had been lazy with the plot and it became far too predictable. At least five times while reading it I found myself skim- reading pages to reach the obvious outcome so that I could get to the next part. I have never done this before with a Brooks book.
My biggest issue with the book, however, is the number of obvious inconsistencies in the narrative.
One character makes a large (but rather predictable) sacrifice in order that her ability to sense danger could be strong and reliable. Fine, but at the first test of this ability (with a captured assassin) it completely fails to warn her of the danger. This inconsistency is glossed over without any explanation.
Another character has difficulty using the blue elfstones because she cannot clearly picture in her mind a mountain pass that she is familiar with, yet later she is easily able to picture an enemy who she has never seen and who has only been described to her. This same character has great difficulty making the elfstones do what they are meant for (seeking/finding). However, very shortly after this is able to make them glow and shine on the ground, or in a particular direction (not what they were meant to do) in order to control a dragon. This she can apparently do with one hand while talking and tying her belt to the dragon with the other. I know women are good at multi-tasking, but come on!
Finally, the big duel at the end of the book is a huge let-down. The main enemy who, all through the book it was pointed out, was supposed to be impervious to physical weapons is severely injured by arrows before being killed far too easily by the hero. One character is further injured (in an obvious and predictable way), while a third is struck by a direct attack from this powerful being and survives with minor burns.
All in all, Brooks appears to paint himself into corners with his plots but then simply ignores his own rules when required, without any explanation. Lazy.
I will certainly buy the next book in the hope that it is better. If it is not it may end my long association with the work of Terry Brooks
on 31 December 2012
You should read all the three trilogies in order, starting with Children of Armagheddon. All 6 books in the series are in the "cannot put down" category. Complex. multi-themed stories with interwoven characters, well developed and engaging. Lots of vivid imagery and action in a (frighteningly) possible future. Hope they make the films soon!
on 12 October 2011
Being a long time Terry Brooks fan, I recently re-read the entire series and you can spot the maturity and development of the author, his tried and tested Fantasty fiction style leaves the reader hanging on cliffs, awaiting developments, predicting both rightly and wrongly developments and twists and turns. Generally Brooks is one of my all time favorate fantasy writers Ever. Whilst Pratchett gives a comical but good story Brooks is the master of twists and turns. Read one today and your mind will love you forever
on 3 October 2012
This story- sequel, lived up to one of my favorite authors, Terry Brooks excellent writing.
And a beautiful love story besides.
This is another story I will read again.
Terry is one of the few authors that I reread several times a year.
His writing inspires my own small efforts.
All the best to Terry.
Kindest
Jack Scoltock
on 1 February 2012
Terry Brooks is one of the best fantasy novelists of our time. His world of Shannara is detailed, realistic & fascinating.You can't put his books down until they are finished. He does not disappoint his many fans with this latest book. Can't wait for the next one. This was a birthday present to me (used money given for my birthday to buy this) but had to fight my son for the privileged of reading it first. Finished it in one gulp so he could take it to university with him. I plan to read it again when he has finished it. If you haven't read the Shannara books you have a treat in store. I envy you reading them for the first time. They are brilliant.