Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 February 2011
The top few reviews give a sufficiently detailed introduction to the book that there's no need for me to cover the same ground. But I have to add that the problem with virtually all space operas is that you have to suspend disbelief, because it seems highly unlikely that human interstellar travel will ever happen. So it was good to read an SF book that recognises this and suggests a way around it. Also there is a very good "female" protagonist - unusual in a book written by a man.
on 17 October 2014
I enjoyed this book.I liked the whole premise that mankind fabricated a race of superior slaves and became so lazy/complacent because of it that the human race just fizzled out.
Its a job to keep up with the "sibs" part of things but as the story develops it starts to clarify.All in all a very good book.
It blows my mind every time i read a space travel based book,how much research the author must have done on physics/astrophysics.
on 20 March 2013
I have read two other of Stross's books (one of which was Accelerando, the other a book in the Laundry series) and I think this is my favourite of the three.

One thing I like about Stross's books is his vision of the future, which I find relatively plausible, for example his recognition of the very long travel times required for inter system travel.

Anyway, fast paced and well written book with plenty of action.
on 15 October 2013
I am a big fan of Stross, but I found this book hard to finish. The long narrative has a few interesting perspectives (history of banking, life on long timescales etc) - yet it fails to deliver much interest for the heroine, or why any of the topics have any importance at all. I felt mildly relieved when I reached the last page - and asked myself "...and the point is?"
Will buy Stross's next book anyway!
on 9 April 2013
So, it's the future, humanity is gone and only robots are left over. They come in all shapes and sizes and have arrayed themselves into their own civilisation.

Except civilised isn't really the word for it. The creation of artificial intelligence to serve us has never had this angle taken on it before and it's thoroughly thought out and thoroughly horrible.

Nice.
on 3 April 2014
The main characters in this book are all Robots, though as they posses exact replicas of the human nervous system they can be thought of as effectively synthetic humans. Oh, and there are no humans anymore. These two facts add up to more than the sum of their parts in this well thought out and interesting page turner. I haven't enjoyed a sci-fi book as much as this for years.
on 21 July 2016
Hilarious, terrifying and endlessly inventive, Stross has come up with a well-motivated plot (does that mean what I want it to mean ?) that brings out and questions a lot of our preconceptions. Yet another different world from this remarkable writer, who can touch our emotions while hurtling us through a whirlwind of unlikely but convincing events
on 25 June 2015
An interesting book but the basic story is a rip off of an older sci fi book [Friday[, in which a non-human is used as a courier to transport a fragile cargo [fertilised egg], between worlds.

Not a bad yarn but a blatant copy of Robert Heinleins idea nevertheless.
on 20 April 2015
One of the most enjoyable science fiction books I've read - it's hard sci-fi, in the sense that it takes the science seriously, but also a light and humorous read. Well written, exciting, funny and clever - and probably not too far off as a vision of the future.
on 8 August 2015
w This one was a struggle. The plot tried to be too unpredictable and u up just getting lost for me. The characters all moulded into one, which made it hard to work out just what was going on. The idea w was so promising but this was a let down for me