Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 October 2000
The best of Brooks. One of my favourite creatures of evil in a fantasy tale has always been demons. And one of my favourite heros have always been Elves. Brooks has pitted the two against one another in a fast, gripping and action pack thrill ride. The characters are vivid, and the demons (especially The Reaper) are an incredible creation of the mind. You actually fear for the characters when such nightmares are in persuit of them, and the last stand at the bridge of Pykon is a chapter that should be hailed as one of the most thrilling chapters ever written in fantasy litriture. It's brilliant. And if you like this you should check out David Gemmel's "Winter Warriors"
on 6 August 2009
"The Druid of Shannara" was my first introduction to Shannara and Terry Brooks, and I have been hooked ever since. Not since Tolkein and his Middle Earth has any writer bought an otherworld to life so skilfully and so colourfully. His heroes are "humane" though not always human, the crisis intricate and intriguing, and the outcomes neither predictable nor forgettable! Overall, a masterly thread is woven throughout the entire series that when you turn the page you become lost in another world!
Though "The Elfstones of Shannara" is probably the best in the series, my only advice is that start at the beginning to enjoy the true experience that is Shannara.
on 5 January 2015
Another fantastic epic in the Shannara trilogy. The Sword of Shannara was a good book but this takes it to another level. Epic battles great heroes and heroines. Am so looking forward to the TV series
on 6 January 2003
I've been into fantasy books for about a year now and in my spare time I have read a wide range of excellent novels.
None of them compare to this.
The Shannara series is a ground-breaking piece of modern fantasy and "The Elfstones of Shannara" is arguably the finest book.
The story is set about 30 years after the events of the first book and is focused on a magical tree, known as The Elcrys. The tree that belongs to the Elves is dying and the force that holds demons in their evil prison is weakening...
As well as proving that he can write gripping fantasy, Terry Brooks also reveals that he is an excellent horror writer. Some of the scenes from this book, in which the heroes are stalked by dark creatures, are terrifyingly intense. Terry Brooks effortlessly creates a real sense of suffocating horror and suspense.
There is also a twist near the end of the story, but instead of springing up suddenly, little hints warn you subconciously and knaw at your brain. It makes you want to read further.
on 16 February 2007
In this book we now see the Shannara family called again to the help of the Druids. Again the main theme in all of the Shannara books. This book is very similar in structure to the Sword of Shannara but again what make this a good read for me is how the story line is expanded and we explore the world the Terry Brooks has created.

More so with this book you feel you understand more of what the chracter are going through and can imagine your self there. I did enjoy this book as it has some very tense and exciting moments.

If you like the Sword of Shannara you will liike this one even more.
on 28 July 2013
Having read The Sword of Shannara as well as The Word And The Void, & The Genesis of Shannara trilogies I new the exceptional level of writing & storytelling I was going to be treated to, but this book blew me away. The story flows off of the page instantly immersing you in the world of Shannara. The characters relationships to one another are complex & meaningful. You can't help but relate to & be swept up in their personal struggles as the story unfolds around them. The Elfstones of Shannara is a mesmerising piece of fantasy, but be warned: once you start to read it, you won't want to put it down.
on 7 January 2002
This is the best, most amazing book I have ever read, I am now on the Wishsong of Shannara and I have bought up all of the other books aswell. I was amazed at the depth of the first book and the atmosphere it created was truly sensational. I am going to read all of them time and time again for they are great. My favourite characters are the elves so this one was of particular interest to me, I think it is an amazing piece of literature and well done Terry Brooks for inspiring me to write my own book, and I'm only 15 so it proves that these books are for everyone!!! from Danny
on 7 September 2016
I found this sat on my fathers bookshelf some time in the early 90s. After reading Sword of Shannara and drawing many similarities with Lord of the Rings I moved on to this and was blown away. Suddenly unique, no longer a derivative work this story set a standard in Fantasy storytelling that, for me, only Raymond E. Feist has matched. This ticks all the boxes, heroes, epic battle, betrayals, love, loss and villains both human and demonic!

*** Do not read any synopsis of the plot it is worth living the adventure with the characters. ***
on 13 September 2004
I feel that this is probably the best book in the Shannara series. I think that the way Brooks can make even the most unimaginable things imaginable is amazing. I find the whole book intense and exciting, even if, like the first book, it took some time to get in to, once I had got past the first couple of chapters I couldn't put it down. It kept twisting and turning at such unexpected places.

A great read, and a must for any fantasy fans, even those LOTR fans.
on 4 February 2002
Ever since I caught the Terry Brooks bug, I read this book time and time again. For me the Elfstones of Shannara is the greatest of all his work.
From the wicked battle scenes to intimate detail into which we see each character, the story is flawless. You really feel like you are living the storyline.
Any one considering this book, would be silly to miss an opportunity to read it. I doubt anyone would be dissapointed with it.