on 2 March 2017
I watched the Shannara Chronicles, season 1 on Netflix and loved it so much that I had to buy the books. They are all brilliant and a must read for anyone who likes this genre. As is usually the case, the books are sooo much better than the TV programs or films.
7 people found this helpful
on 12 November 2016
The first book written by Terry Brooks as part of the long running Shannara series & in my my still one of the best. Yes it is similar to Lord of the Rings but in my mind that is not a bad thing. Well written book with good characters. Very fast paced & a fun read.
2 people found this helpful
on 1 June 2018
My mistake was not reading the reviews before purchasing this book. An author’s note in the Legends of Muirwood series (which I thoroughly enjoyed) referred to this book as being one of his favourites, which I took to be sufficient recommendation.
I am just over halfway through the book (300+ pages) and despite not liking to leave a book unfinished, really cannot take anymore. I find it poorly written; with page after page of uninteresting narrative; no depth of story and paper-thin characters wondering about for days on end in heaven only knows what direction, miraculously surviving all manner of pitfalls (literally) and without achieving anything at all.
Many characters and locations are reminiscent (in a bad way) of those devised by Tolkien and Rowling, which is irritating.
Other reviewers report an improvement in subsequent novels by this author, I shan’t be finding out.
on 17 November 2016
Not bad for a first novel. Bits of it drag on though. There's a lot of bits where the Gandalf-like character is telling the others the ancient history of their world, an bits where Brooks tells us what different characters are thinking. Elmore Leonard this is not. But I hear the series improves & I think if you're going to get into it it's best to start at the beginning, so, worth a read.
on 31 May 2017
Disappointed.A homage to Lord of the Rings,but a pale imitation.Did not show originality and the battle scenes were overlong.First book I have read by this author so may try another not based on Tolkien.
on 18 March 2018
Good yarn and yes there are similarities to Lord of the Rings but actually I liked it better! This book ends in a neat way but I wasn't compelled to read the rest of the series.
on 27 February 2017
Read the review by P. Zoulias, from 10th Aug 2016. It hits the nail on the head.

Read a third of the book and then gave up. First book in years I haven't finished - it really is a shameless LOTR rip-off that is horribly written. I don't understand how it got published. There are plenty of better fantasy authors out there that use their own imagination to craft a story in the Elven/Dwaven/Human world, find one, avoid this.
|0Comment|Report abuse
It’s the kind of book one reads when they wish there was more Tolkien around. It’s never as good as the original. Plus there on one, only ONE, female character in the whole book. She is of course beautiful and completely without any personality whatsoever. Good book, but go in with your eyes open. It was 1977 after all. Will read the second, but then will give up on this author.
on 9 November 2016
I have always loved Terry Brooks' books purely because they make me think of tolkien sometimes and the the fact that they always seem so thought out!.

I bought this as a gift for something that apprently struggled sometimes and found out they enjoyed these types of books so why not spread the Terry Brooks love.
on 26 January 2018
Enjoed book. Enjoyed series.