on 28 September 2009
Another fantastic Tom Holt book. Seemed to get a bit (too) silly near the end, just as the second Paul Carpenter book did, in ways that his other books don't seem to. All in all another great work from the master but probably best to read The Portable Door and Earth,Air, Fire and Custard first.
on 1 November 2011
I borrowed this from a library after a friend recommended the author to me after learning that I had read some Terry Pratchett some years ago. This was the first Tom Holt book I found so thought I would give it a go.

The story revolves around Frank Carpenter, who owns a door that can take him wherever and whenever he wants and Eliza Spitzer, who works in pest control (pests being dragons, trolls, giant spiders etc.). The story is a little less fantastical than a Terry Pratchett novel, the magic and dragons etc being almost incidental to the story, rather than the main reason for the story. It is almost like Terry Pratchett for grown ups who want an easy read. It is a story that keeps you hooked without having to think too much. The characters, even the more dubious ones, are likeable and make you want to find out what happens.

I would definitely read another of the Tom Holts books and can recommend this particular one.
on 25 October 2009
Having read and been a little disappointed by The Portable Door, I was very pleased to pick up my second Tom Holt book and find this one much better written and more enjoyable. The humour won't knock your socks off, but there were several laugh out loud moments, which is always a good sign. The story moves on at a good pace, and the plot's about the right level of complexity for such a book. Tom excels in his similes without appearing to try too hard. It helps to have read The Portable Door first, but not totally necessary. One thing that puzzled me: why does the cover name the heroine as Jane, when she's called Emily? Strange!
If you like this kind of humour, a romantic interest, monsters and magic then give this a try.
on 31 July 2009
I've read a few Tom Holts before and was therefore a little disappointed in this. The language is still as fluent as ever but given the plot, the writing style as a whole didn't really give the story the oomph it needed to sustain any action.
So, I found it difficult to read as it plodded along while trying to be exciting but if you are a big Holt fan you will probably enjoy this.
If there's a guy in the market who has done for the Urban fantasy what Terry Prachett has for Fantasy then its Tom Holt, his writing is not only humerous but also full of great characters that you can't help but fall in love with. Each has their own quirks and goals along with a vulnerability that really does appeal to the reader. Its good fun, its an adventure on its own and Tom is always top of my reading pile when he lands as the pure escapism within just keeps you glued to the last page.
on 18 May 2013
Tom Holt has long been a favourite mine and this book is certainly up to his usual standard. Extremely funny and imaginative. I really don't know where his ideas come from. For anyone who has read Portable Door this is a must, just don't miss it.
on 23 August 2011
Good fun stuff, snappy with some funny ideas through it ties itself in knots a bit toward the end. Main complaint is the editing - a couple of people have pointed out the name changes from cover to content - there's also a glitch where the door appearing like a drawing on a wall is similar to a "Tony Hatch" picture - surely Tom meant "Tony Hart"?? It would have been useful to know that this seems to be the 3rd (?) book in a series as well! Enjoyable though and I'll read more of Tom Holt's books.
on 10 January 2011
I have been reading Tom Holt for years and found this one as funny as all his other books. Spot on as always . Mind you I dont know whether it was deliberate because on the back page of my 2009 paperback edition it states the name of the heroine as Jane but her name is Emily!!! (but maybe it is) because on the product description on this page it also says her name is Jane
on 11 August 2013
Tom Holt writes very well at times, and some of his oblique slants on life and magic are very droll. There's nothing worse than fantasy fiction that takes itself too seriously in my view, but each to their own.

I thought this was much more consistent and engaging than some of his work, I thought Doughnut flapped about looking for a decent idea or structure for example.

A good light read. I still have hopes that Tom Holt will write something that is truly excellent. He is clearly very talented and nearly always worth a punt.
on 20 June 2016
The first Time Holt book I've read and I can't say I'm disappointed...

A fun, enjoyable and rather madcap read, in a similar vein to Terry Pratchett.