Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 January 2013
I first read the Sten books just after I had left university and way before Amazon and the internet became popular (indeed it could even have been before the PC came into widespread use) - I used to get them from Forbidden Planet when it was at the bottom of Oxford Street as American imports and they were great then. They remain great today - there is a ceratin timeless quality to them (my son of 25 reads them with equal enjoyment) - which I think i sto do with the fact that the characters and situations are archetypes rather than stereotypes. Both authors, as I recall, are Viet Nam vets and that reality shows through in the books.

Together with the Black Company series, they introduced me to a new, grittier and more realistic, take on SF/Fantasy which I found inherently more satisfying than much of what had gone before.

If it were possible to award 10 stars then I would - I simply buy every new edition to update prior dog-eared copies. I am sure there are millions of fans who would happily shell out for hard back versions of them as well.
on 7 February 2013
great finale to the series
this is an action scifi - grunt goes amiral, army / spooks fiction
from a couple of writers with serious background in the business
the scifi is pretty light - it is more of a cover for political infighting and a manifest agains absolute rulership
BUT it can be read for the lighther / action parts
recommend it to all those looking for a more adult oriented han solo that never met leia :)
on 19 June 2013
I have now read all the books in the Sten series and enjoyed every word. A pacey story line in each book with an historic theme relating to the characters throughout which gives the books an in depth flavour.
on 6 May 2013
As Sten 2 good read enjoyed it and will try this author in the near future. I would recommend this author to others who like this type of science fiction.
on 7 April 2014
Great ending to a great series! The mix of science fiction and humour works well with politics and espionage! Clot!
on 29 August 2013
I thought book 1 was good , wasn't that keen on book , but the third book is far darker , loving it
on 2 October 2014