Customer reviews

Uplift: The Complete Original Trilogy (Uplift Omnibus Book 1)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 October 2017
It can be a bit slow getting into the first story but stick with it and when it all comes together you will love it.

The world building is amazing and the plot is great.

The price may seem high at a first glance but this is 3 books in 1 so its absolutely worth it. I'm almost done with the third story and I have zero regrets buying this book.
on 25 October 2017
Even for sci fi this book is entirely unfeasible.
on 23 July 2014
Brin's universe is truly interesting - a great concept, that of course puts the upstart race of man in a precarious position, but still admired for our tenacity and uniqueness.

He plays his stories with a light touch. Most novels with this level of grandeur in their setup weave epic, universe spanning tales. They usually take in some level of fundamental, ground shaking revelation with a reach that touches everything and every race caught up in the events - leaving you reeling in the scope of the story.

Instead, Brin downplays the rich backdrop in favour of a vignette set inside that alternative universe - a little like an episode of a TV show, rather than the spectacle of a movie. Each of the three novels in here focuses on one small event, told at a gentle pace. It's partly genius and partly disappointing - perhaps I've been primed by Baxter, Reynolds and Banks to expect rollercoaster-paced all encompassing plotting and now I _need_ that scale of narrative and universe wide upheaval. Perhaps that's why I was left a little flat by Uplift.

The sense of scale and the vastness of the event's effects are left implicit, hinted at, but never spoken aloud. The ramifications of novel's events happen in the space in between the books, they are played out as the reasons behind each of these three novels, but never experienced. This has a power all of its own, I imagine that the idea is to leave you with the feeling that everything is embedded in something bigger, something you don't fully understand, and through your own imagination filling in the blanks, it becomes even larger, even richer.

Sadly for me, that wasn't the feeling I got reading Uplift. I felt I knew enough from his hints to know that background, understood enough to want to see it happen and felt undernourished as a result when inevitably, there was no payoff at backstory level.

I enjoyed the read, but to sum up, Uplift has an interesting universe, but the three small stories within it felt like they didn't reach their potential. They promised great things, but did not deliver them.
on 19 January 2013
This is my first book review. I'm 68 and have been reading for entertainment since I was 8 years old (continuously). SciFi is my favourite genre because the only limitation is the authors imagination. David brin has no limits on his imagination. This book is, without doubt, one of the better reads I have enjoyed. The characterisation is great. The story line is great. The scope is great. I really enjoyed this book and have just bought the second trilogy. Definitely recommended for SciFi fans.
on 17 March 2013
In Brin's universe, all races are lifted to sapience by an older race, all the way back to the Progenitors. All except Humans, that is, who have had the temerity to gift Dolphins and Chimpanzees with rationality. Having client races of this kind gives Humanity a modicum of respect in a Galactic melting pot of alien races.

Whywe are unique in having lifted ourselves by our bootstraps, and the conflict between those who see all knowledge as residing in The Library ( a compendium of millions of years of alien efforts), and those who see benefit in discovering things for themselves, forms the opening book's story.

As always, with Brin, the story is well told, with teasing puzzles emerging, and alien motives at play.
on 30 January 2013
This is a more intelligent space opera than most.
It is exciting, has an excellent background realisation, imaginative aliens and good plots.
If you like this sort of thing, this is a good one.
on 6 March 2013
Space sagas so often collapse under their own weight and the initial conceits are badly overworked and tedious by the end. How refreshing to be kept reading by a simple story well imagined and well told over many worlds. When that dolphin spaceship reaches earth there will be hell to pay!
on 13 August 2015
This is a weird trilogy that, while extremely interesting, is a relic of an era when you didn't need to be able to write all that well that win sci-fi awards. I suppose some would say that era is still happening! The story is fantastic but the telling can be clumsy.
on 27 January 2013
Superb galaxy spanning (well five galaxies actually) science fiction. Creative and thought provoking. This is the best book I have read in the last twelve months. I have bought the follow up trilogy and if it is half as good then I will be happy.
on 20 October 2015
Talking dolphins and chimps.....really? Yes. It sounds super cheesy but it makes total sense when you read these books. I cannot recommend them enough and was gutted when I finished the trilogy only because I know there will be no more.