VINE VOICETOP 50 REVIEWERon 23 March 2011
This is the 2nd book in the Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood series. I will admit that I only read the Sookie Stackhouse books as I had watched the television series however I absolutely love the books and now find the television series a bit wanting at times (although I still love the TV series). They seem to change the story in the television series so much from the books which in my opinion don't need changing however I assume they do this for a 'more dramatic storyline'. For anyone who is a fan of the television series then I would definitely advise them to read the books as they are so much better and go into so much more detail than the TV series can. I absolutely fell in love with Eric Northman in the series and if there was a 'team Eric' vs a 'team Bill' then I am definitely on team Eric! I can't wait until the latest instalment in the series is released from Charlaine Harris and I shall be reading it as soon as it touches my doormat!
on 9 July 2017
Unthought the first book was good. But this one wasn't so good, I felt that it was not very well written, plot was easily pradictable, and to me sookie is portrayed as some dumb blond who keeps portraying a victim. I also thought th whole cast were really unlikable and rude plus none of them had any chemistry
on 6 April 2011
Having seen the show first and now reading the books, I knew it wouldn't exactly be a surprise what happens in the books. I read book one of the Sookie Stackhouse series (Dead Until Dark) and the TV show had followed it so closely that although it was a great book, I knew exactly what would happen.

Luckily for me, reading Living Dead in Dallas, it was much better. The TV show writers had followed this book very loosely and although it very roughly had the same storyline, everything seemed to develop differently. The Maenad had a much smaller part, unlike the show where she was the big villain at the end of season2, and Sookie's infiltration of the Fellowship of the Sun was much different. While the TV show complimented this book perfectly, it was different enough to feel like I was reading something new!

And as for Eric, he's just as swoon-worthy in the book as he is in the show and I love how comedic the character of Eric is in the novels. It's a shame that Layfaette's character was written out so early in the novels - it makes me very glad that the TV show decided to keep him as a regular character! Onwards to book 3 for me now!
on 14 November 2013
After getting through book 1 over 2 nights, couldn't wait to get stuck in. Again watching Trueblood on HBO i felt this time they should have stuck to the book.
Again very well written, enjoyed the interaction with the charctures and enjoyed the introduction of the Maenod. Unlike the series, she wasn't the main the charactures. Loved how you got introducted to a darker side of a small town. People you thought you knew had other sides to them.
Loved the introduction of Eric more aswell. You got to see the fun side of him which set you up ready for the love storey between him and Sookie. Loved it.
on 20 December 2011
I'm not usually into modern vampire stories. I tried to read Twilight and it bored the hell outta me. but thi book was a treat to read. It's mot quite as good as the first (what sequel is?) but it's definately worth reading. I really liked the storyline and the main protagonist is a well developed character. There are even some witty moments in this one with the dashing vampire Eric. I also liked hearing a bit more about Bills past. I'd give this four stars. It isn't mind blowing but it sureis gripping and thrilling. A must for anyone who wants to read about real vampires that don't sparkle and likes a good thrill.
on 5 June 2011
I am reading these books having watched 3 series of True Blood. The books are great but VERY different to the series. That is not necessarily a bad thing though because it is like reading something completely new, you turn the page thinking you know what is going to happen ... and something totally different occurs!

As I said great great books and thoroughly enjoy them - just going to have to read them all ahead of the next series on TV in the UK.
on 5 September 2013
The second of a series. It's going to be hard to come to the end of this series. The heroine is unforgettable. She has guts, intelligence and is thoroughly believable. I just have to read the next ... and on ...
on 16 August 2016
Loved it couldn,t put it down.
on 18 January 2014
Loved it great book ,will be recommending it to all friend`s ,great author love her style of writing will be looking for more books by this author +++++
on 24 October 2003
This is a FANTASTIC book by Charlaine Harris - it's the 2nd book in a series - the first being 'Dead until Dark', the 3rd is 'Dead Club'. I love this Author's style of writing, it's so easy. I loved this book, a definate keeper, you won't be disappointed.