Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 September 2013
I loved the Ender books and looked forward to reading this with great anticipation, but this was incredibly disappointing. Characters that were previously interesting and strong seemed all of a sudden weak and forgettable.

And I'm sorry but the pictures of the characters after every few chapters were just horrible and ill thought out! When you've read so many Ender books over the years, and given the excellent characterization you build up an image of the characters in your mind, and then to see them illustrated poorly like cartoon characters ruins that image in one fell swoop. Seeing Bean as some cartoon giant just erased the strong somewhat dark image that had been depicted over a number of great books.

While this book might fill in a few gaps I wish I hadn't read it because previously I remember the Ender series as powerful, exciting, sometimes moving - but reading this has nullified that and somewhat spoiled the feel of the whole series.

Sorry to be negative but I don't think OSC did justice to his magnificent series with this book, quite the opposite in fact.
on 11 June 2010
All the Ender books after "Ender's Game" and "Speaker For The Dead" are disappointing in comparison. They're reasonably entertaining and are of interest to the completist. This one starts slowly, with lots of use of e-mail as narrative, but the second half picks up pace and improves.
on 21 March 2014
I enjoyed this so much thst I bought the series. A real page turner, although I thought the "buggers" could have had a better name!
on 16 December 2013
not as good as Ender's Game but then few sequels are as good as the first book. It is definitely worth buying and reading though.
on 14 December 2015
not bad
on 2 April 2015
Love the whole series
on 4 October 2014
A nice Ender fix for those like me who always want to read more about the characters we know but not up to Enders game or Enders shadow standard.
on 6 August 2013
A worthy mid-quel as O.S.C. puts it & a good solid read. Definitely recommended if you like the Ender saga.
on 22 November 2014
A very good read. Follows on directly from Enders Game, a different kind of story, but well worth the effort.
I had not heard of Ender until a couple of weeks ago when a colleague at work loaned me Ender's Game.

I enjoyed that book so much that as soon as I finished it I went to the book shop to look for the next book in the series.

Unfortunately, the only book they had was this one.

Ender's Game was published in 1977. This book, published in 2008 picks up at around chapter 13 of Ender's Game. It is neither a sequel nor a prequel, but something else entirely, as the whole story takes place within the last couple of chapters of Ender's Game.

I took an immediate dislike to this book. It would seem that 30 years after the original book was published, the author decided that he did not like the name he had given his insect monsters. Called "Buggers" in the original novel, they are almost exclusively referred to as "Formics" in the newer book. This really rather annoyed me and took me out of the story every time the word was mentioned.

I was also slightly put off by the email exchange type format and chapter headings. The original book predicted laptops (desks) and email, but it did not use or demonstrate a formal address@domain message format. The new book starts out immediately with an email in that format.

Despite being annoyed by these changes, I actually found myself enjoying the story on its own merits.

The story explores what happens to Ender between the end of the war and him setting off on a voyage around the settled planets. Most of this is briefly covered in Ender's Game, but this expands greatly on the matter.

Once again the author's deceptively simple style makes the book extremely easy to read and I finished the book in a couple of day.

I'll definitely be reading the rest of the Ender Saga