Customer reviews

on 1 August 2009
The very best of Pratchett, Wodehouse and Rankin - set in a very familiar environment.

This is such a good book, I think to class it as a comic-novel is dismissive of how good a piece of work this really is.

All of the JWW Wells novels books are just excellent - so brilliantly crafted, well written and flowing they are a joy to read - they are the work of an incredibly talented and creative author at the top of his game.

Anyone who has read early Holt and enjoyed them - and even those who didnt - will be blown away by this book.
on 16 July 2012
This is the second time I've read this book, and it was good the second time as the first. It is a mix of the every day and the fantastical. It encompasses confusion at starting a new job, figuring out new people, and many different relationships, with rather a few curiosities on the way. Things move that shouldn't. How and why, is revealed slowly throughout the book, and not everyone is who they seem.
Great read, and although full of magic, doesn't seem beyond the realm of possibility.
Highly recommended.
on 21 May 2013
I have read several of Tom Holt's books, most are excellent though a few I think miss the mark. This is one of my favourites. The characters are quirky and you don't know where it is going until near the end. I loved the idea of magic being humdrum and the lead characters are not heroic or even courageous, but somehow the author manages to get you involved in their lives. I would suggest you get a large cup of tea, several choccie biscuits, find a quiet chair and set aside a few gours to really get into it.
on 15 February 2010
...He does tell a good yarn
I haven't read as much of his stuff as, say, Robert Rankin, or Pratchett, and I was pleasantly surprised.
I've since read other novels of his, and the worst you can say is that it plods a bit. Not much. But it does. None the worse for that, though, because he's always entertaining even when the action is not exactly well paced.

I give it the thumbs up.
I do.
I do, I do.
Read it.
Go on, go on.
Frothy, man.
on 30 July 2013
I love Tom Holt. I read some other of his books which I found hilarious and thoroughly engrossing.
I was pleased to find the portable door on kindle . I think it's his first novel.
I thought the plot was less complicated than some other of his novels but was very impressed with the writing. It wasn't an obvious first book and had me from the first page. I will continue with the series in order now. Brilliant! !
on 13 January 2016
I <3 this book 💜 it so much
I liked it from beginning
paul is a man with no life
he has no girlfriend
not much money
and omg somthings cooking in this book
and in real life (mmm smells so good)
at first its a job interview not to much but enough
to keep you wanting to read !!!!!
then strange things happen I haven't finshed yet .
five star
on 1 March 2014
Read it ages ago, bought it again on kindle. Forgot how much I enjoyed reading it. Tom Holt always puts me in mind of a very terrestrial Douglas Adams. Really novel plots, gently surreal. Really. good at creating characters that endure: he has a gift for characterising people in a few words and reinforcing this with a sentence here and there each time they appear.
on 20 February 2013
Loved this book the main character being very recognisable. Fear and self loathing are traits that few would admit to but once admitted causality can throw in the funnies.

I'm still reading Holt and have read about six of his books interspersed with other authors and won't stop until I have read the lot. Entertainment? Yes.
on 27 December 2010
I really enjoyed this book and the others in the trilogy. It's not taxing but it's a great book to relax with. The characters are strong and hold the story together. It has some great bits of humour and I found I wanted to know how it ended and then couldn't wait to start the next one in the series ( dangerously easy with Kindle!)
on 1 January 2015
I've read several Tom Holt books now and they never disappoint. The twists in the story line keep the story fresh along with the great characters which are easy to relate to. The only negative comment I have is the reference to Yorkshire ale, that was a little far fetched and believable.