Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 15 August 2015
Good sequel book.
on 10 January 2004
OK 4 stars is generous - but the negativity throughout the reviews meant that my expectations were on the floor.
And it really isn't that bad. Everyone is right - there is very little action - and this was not frustrating for me as I already knew that (unlike the long and painful search for the weather bowl (or whatever) - which drove me mad - and was pointless??).
In short, I thought it was well written, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact I couldn't put it down. So do read it!!!
I do hope however, that the publishing of the prequels does not slow down the concluding parts.
on 9 November 2006
What amazes me more each time I read a new review for these books is how dead set against the later 5 books some readers seem to be. Robert Jordan has never made a secret of the fact that he keeps many threads running simultaneously. One of his great skills is developing consequences of his character's actions. Too many writers describe world shattering events then carry on as if little has happened. Jordan's magic comes from the ripples in 'the pattern' created by his three main characters.

I want to see multiple threads and more importantly see them interract - Matt and Thom, Aviendha and Elayne, Rand and Cadsuane. The 'Lace of Ages' would be pretty damn boring if there were only 3 threads as suggested by some reviewers. The last four books have contained grand events described convincingly. If you don't like politics, if you don't like hidden agenda's and intrigue, if you don't like descriptions of fantastic cultures and spiraling madness then don't read Jordan. The first seven books set the stakes and the latter books deal with the game play. Too many people like the excitement of the first few moves in a game of stones then grow tired when the board loses it's 'neat and tidy' appearance.

I suggest those reviewers that complain endlessly about descriptions (and expect each chapter to end with one of the forsaken dead) put down these books and pick up a Harry Potter instead. (A great book but lacking the tremendous depth and intrigue of the Wheel of Time). It's like hearing people complain about a climb up Everest by saying it was too cold and the view was better from base camp!
on 21 October 2006
I have a problem with all volumes of this series. The basic plot is good but the way it is delivered fails the idea. The author's style too often settles into a ponderous self indulgence, with the result that the dramatic thrust is diluted and lost. The whole series would have benefited from a sympathetic but ruthless editor!
on 18 June 2003
I agree with most of the reviews above. I foolishly thought we might be getting closer to the end of this incredibly long series by book ten. Instead, we seem to have moved forward by 2 weeks. All this book did was hold all the characters in the same place, discussing what might have happened at the end of book nine. A waste of 800+ pages. I will of course still buy the next one if only to relieve some frustration and hopefully get nearer the conclusion.
on 18 November 2003
Oh my goodness, he's done it again. I thought I'd better read it as I'd read the other nine, but like eight and nine in the series it goes absolutely nowhere. It is full of names which don't relate to anything and if you wrote down a list of actual events in this book it wouldn't take up half a page. If Mr. Jordan had stopped at book seven he would have had a work of note, but now it is just floundering around with no direction. Do we really need to know the names of every single Aes Sedai that ever existed? I just scan read the second half to get it over with, but it's very doubtful whether I will bother picking up number eleven!
on 27 January 2003
CoT represents another bite size step forward in the WOT story. With so many characters now present, the story has ground to the speed of a jugganault running up hill. Concequently, there is little suspense generated and not much insentive for burning the midnight oil.
Nevertheless, this book continues WOT and moves forward the story with all the major characters. It also includes some startling events. At the end of the book you are left with a 2-3 year wait until your next fix arrives but one thing is becoming clear, the end is nigh. (In 2 or 3 books of course)
on 9 July 2016
I read lots of negativity about this but loved it all the same and I can understand why we don't see rand in it much because it all revolves around the fallout of what happened last time
on 1 May 2014
Part 10 of a very good series of books. Would captivate anyone who is into fantasy with magic.Buy all 13 books!
on 29 September 2015
Best book since Lord of the rings cannot put it down