Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 September 2010
I LOVE Richard Parsons and his CGP range of revision books! Wow! How does he do it?

Like so many CGP books, you can expect plenty of colour, pictures and humour. The style is conversational, light-hearted and reassuring - as if a friend were helping you and telling you not to freak out at all those long, turgid-sounding mathematical words!

The genius of these books is their ability to be both thorough and concise. New topics are developed slowly. Each section explains the basics thoroughly to ensure brilliant clarity. I understand what I am doing and why. Later, the topic jogs along at pace. Because it gets to the point quickly, I manage to keep hold of gist.

In summary this book makes maths easy to understand!

I even feel motivated! Because each topic is bite-sized, I can whittle off a quick topic or two at a moment's notice.

If you have used CGP Maths books before, then be aware that there aren't any "Acid Tests" unfortunately. But there are still end-of-topic revision-tests to get you practising all that newly understood info!
on 5 August 2009
Came in handy for my AS revision needs.

An excellent point about this book is the header on each page that tells you whether this topic is covered by your exam board, a useful thing when you may have missed a few lessons. *ahem*
on 18 June 2016
Great book - clearly written and easy to read, it contains a wealth of information.
However, it doesn't quite cover the level of detail required for the 90% +.
Greater explanation of the methods used to reach the answers would complete this book. As it stands, it often leaves you with the general idea, but not the concreate steps.
Possibly a case of trying to do too much in one book - core and additional and questions.
on 2 December 2012
I am currently studying as level maths and I was struggling pretty bad at first, I bought this book to help me with my revision and it has definately helped so much! I recommend for anyone to buy because it explains things in an easier way and has a few jokes in there so it makes the revision a lot simpler and abit fun believe it or not lol!
on 10 July 2011
I am not preparing for A level maths exams, and I'm well into retirement. But some years ago I decided to revisit my interest in mathematics, having passed A levels in pure maths and applied maths (mechanics) 50 years ago. I am interested in seeing how the teaching of maths has changed from those far-away days when, in general, it was so poor (both in the grammar schools and in the universities). There were few, if any, concessions to a slow learner, to the plodder who would get there in the end with the right help. A level maths books were badly structured. A level maths lessons tended to throw the student in at the deep end. If you were mathematically-gifted that was not a problem. You passed your A level exams despite the efforts of the teachers. Nowadays, maths books for A level students bear little comparison with the stodgy, turgid (and for many incomprehensible) A level books of 50 years ago. The present book is so well-structured and comprehensible that it is hard to see how any A level maths student today could fail to pass the exam if he or she devoted a modest amount of work to the task. The superior quality of books like the one reviewed here may explain the higher pass rates today compared with 50 years ago. Maybe the A level exams in maths are a bit easier today. It's hard to say. The teaching of A level maths appears to be quite superior today to what it was in former times; and learning is supported by quality revision texts like the one under review.
on 17 November 2012
I have always found the CGP revision guides very good and would highly recommend them. However, I was slightly disappointed with this book, as although it said it was suitable for the AQA exam board it is missing the entire decision one module. But even with this problem I would still recommend the book to people studying A-level maths as it clearly explains the topics that it does cover.
on 9 September 2016
All-round good product but be aware that this is a revision guide and does not explain the full length of the topics from start to finish, this is for people to understand or have been taught the topics and just want to have a refresh, not necessarily expand their mathematical knowledge.
on 3 January 2016
I'm using this with other books to refresh and relearn the mathematics of my youth (and a bit more besides, I never did A level maths). I think this book is nicely paced and has the things I want. It is a bit childish in some places and I'd imagine that, that is patronising to the age group it targets, but that's not my problem really.
It's much better priced than Waterstones and WHSmiths, so if you are looking around, buying it used here is the best option.
on 13 June 2016
CGP textbooks have a reputation of being quality, and this edition respects that.

Like others in the series, this book has funny quips and puns and makes revision a much more enticing task.
on 2 August 2011
This book has helped me no end although I'm not doing my a levels any more I bought it to help with a Maths subject enhancement course and it was fantastic. Delivered very quickly and sparkling condition