Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 July 2011
The book is divided into 8 parts: basic stuff, you and your family, school and jobs, town, shopping, food and drink, hobbies and transport, letters, weather, holidays and grammar and phrases. It is clear to understand and makes reviewing French fun. A very good value for money.KS3 French: The Study Guide
on 31 March 2016
I bought this together with the workbook for my 11 year old in Year 7. The Study Guide has come in useful to clarify things for homework and for revision. Clear and to the point, we both like this book, it's been a time saver.
on 19 May 2014
These books are great. My daughter always finds what she needs to revise in them The explanations and examples and pictures are very helpful. Highly recommended. Great price and arrived by the scheduled delivery date.
on 13 May 2016
Wow, wow, wow. Get this book! My Year 7 son hated French, and didn't really work at it. I made him use this book for revision and he went from 54% in his January assessment to 90% in his end-of-year exam after only a few hours of work. (As a bonus, it's also quite funny!)
on 20 July 2013
Just what you need to guide you through learning basic French and giving you confidence. I also use this book with my French adult students who use it with other lessons to learn English, so it serves a very useful dual purpose as we both learn together!
on 3 August 2016
good workbook for my student
on 21 February 2012
I bought this book, as it was 5 stars according to most of the reviewers and yes, it has lived up to expectations, but unlike most other CGP books, it didn't exceed them.
The key mistake in this book is that, if I was completely new to the language, having never heard French spoken before, how would I know how to say the words? There is no pronunciation in this book, and this was very disappointing, as you'd expect this to be a key part of the French studies. Therefore, even simple numbers would be spoken wrongly. Un duh Twa Cat Sank Sese Set Weet Nerf Dese (How you should pronounce them) will become to the unknown student, Un, deux, trois, quatre, cinq, six, sept, huit, neuf, dix; spoken exactly as they are written. I would imagine for struggling French students, this will be a very difficult factor to overcome, and I really don't know how they would.
Another slip up, is that with the majority of CGP books having answers to the revision questions at the back of the book. This one however, did not. You would have to look back on the previous section to find the answer you were looking for. This may, for some people, be better, since it provides even more reading and taking in the text, but for me, it just adds to the hassle, this is less of a letdown, but it is another reason to knock off a star.
Judge for yourself whether you would like this book. For me, it is fine, I can have a good guess at how the words are spoken, because I have had previous teaching, and searching the previous chapter isn't back breaking - I'm really nitpicking here. I'm also giving the facts, informing, so please if you can manage with these slight issues, then this book is definitely ideal.
There are eight informative sections, each with revision questions at the end. They are, 'Basic Stuff' 'You, Family and Home' 'School and Jobs' 'Town, Shopping, Food and Drink' 'Free Time, Hobbies and Transport' 'Letters'(As in the letters you would write to a friend) 'Weather, Holidays and Countries' and 'Grammar and Phrases'. Each of these have many details in, and if not for the two for-mentioned pitfalls, it would have got five stars; it's your own choice.

I hope this review was informative, even if negative. Thank you :-)
on 1 December 2011
I loved this book so much! I got it for my daughter and it really helped her and she felt so much more confident in her exams! It has helpful diagrams and it is very clear to learn from. It is a perfect revision guide. It has all the vocabulary you need. If your thinking of buying, please buy!
on 18 May 2008
I used this book recently with my son, as he as to prepare for his end-of-year exams (Year 7). We only had a list of topics to study. Before we started using this book, we really did not know where to start.

The material is simply organized with pictures and a basic vocabluary for each topic. Also on each page there are simple phrases and sentences that uses these words.

A really good guide, especially for those who know very little French.
on 22 February 2009
my children have always injoyed French. Ths study guide is written in such a way it guides the reader with simple illustrations and easy to follow lessons helping them to devlope confidently and comfortably. excellent investment.