on 28 October 2005
Somehow CGP manage to produce guides which contain all the hard facts kids need for their exams, but which present them in a friendly, digestible format accessible to both children and adults. This comprehensive guide includes sections on numbers, algebra, shapes and statistics, presented with the usual CGP humour and cartoons. It is useful both as a reference book (when are shapes congruent and similar? What are the 8 simple rules of geometry?) and as a work-your-way through-it revision guide.
Conclusion: everything you need for revising (and learning) KS3 maths.
11 comment| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2010
My son was having problems in maths due to lessons missed after illness. I had very little knowledge of modern secondary level maths so this book was perfect to help us both to tackle some tricky new topics.
on 22 August 2008
I purchased this book roughly 6-7 weeks before the actual mathematics exam, thinking that it was too late to revise the majority of the year 9 curriculm. But I found it simple, fun and easy to understand because of its unique teaching methods. For instance it had useful pictures, strange jokes and questions at the end of each chapter to test your knowledge. All of which proved to be extremely helpful, due to the amount of time I had to revise.

This book is a life- saver that fills you with confidence,

Thanks CGP
on 20 July 2011
my 13 year old daughter was falling behind in her maths so i approached her maths teacher who recommended this book. we bought it for her and 4 weeks later she scored a 7C and secured her place in the top maths set for year 8. well worth every penny. i highly recommend this book.
on 11 February 2001
A really good book that is worth reading it helps with your maths and covers all the catagories studied through Key Stage Three. With funny jokes and pictures it really makes Maths come to life, a brilliant read!!!
on 12 May 2016
I bought this for my daughter in YR8 about to do her mock GCSE exams designed to decide what set she will be in for her GCSE's starting next year. My daughter does struggle with certain aspects of maths at this level and I have to say this guide has been a revelation to her. She finds it very easy to follow, 'funny'!? (yes, really) and engaging. She is able to 'zone in' on what she needs to improve on and is feeling more confident as she works through the guide. This study guide itself is detailed and easy to follow at the same time. It is clearly aimed precisely at her year group and she finds it extremely useful. Each unit includes catchy diagrams and highlighted key-words that my daughter finds easy to follow. The key-words are also presented in an easy to follow 'remember these' manner. Excellent in one parents opinion.
on 2 June 2014
I have purchased this for my daughter as she struggles with maths a little and after a. Opulent of pages read she understood maths more, this book is written to make you understand maths in a better or easier way as my daughter found out by using this, I would defiantly recommend to someone who struggles with maths.
on 22 June 2016
I hate the design of this book.
All pages are just BOLD, RED or full of colors, which makes understanding very confusing.
They should hire better designers.

You do need the Workbook CGP, as there is barely any practice.
The Workbook CGP KS3 that I also bought is also very concise (but better design!!), only 76 pages of exercises for the whole of KS3.
Clearly aimed at reviewing, not as a learning tool (in case you homeschool).

Buy Lonsdale Essentials Coursebook KS3. Clearly SUPERIOR, and your eyes won't burn when you read it like this book here!
on 21 February 2012
CGP books are absolutely fantastic for learning KS3 maths; I thoroughly recommend them for your first choice of guidebooks. There are 4 chapters, `Numbers Mostly' `Algebra' `Shapes' & `Statistics and Probability'. These are split into sections which explain all of the different parts - in amazing detail. CGP tell you everything you need to know and then test you at the end of the section; about 40 in-depth questions that will test your revision knowledge as far as it will go, and the answers are at the back of the book. You will find this book covers most topics, so this is a great buy.
on 4 September 2013
I bought this book in order to help my daughter to revise for her ks3 exams. However, we found that there are many subjects are not reviewed. The illustration (in my opinion) is more distracting than attracting.

But, all-in-all the info, which is in the book is easy to understand.