Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now

on 14 March 2006
I bought this version of 'The Night Before Christmas' three years ago, and since then it has become a family favourite, read without fail every Christmas Eve and many other times throughout December.
I chose to write this review now as I noticed some of the comments left by other reviewers and felt I had to comment (as to why I'm writing in March, I was actually looking for a copy of this for my sister, who wanted one of her own after seeing mine recently).
There isn't really a lot you can say about the poem as it's such a classic, except that many people will only know the first few lines maybe and therefore might not have enjoyed the (good old-fashioned sentimental) detail found through the rest of the verses.
Of this particular version I will say that it is appropriately and beautifully illustrated, and although an earlier reviewer may have found the pictures too dark to enjoy properly, I felt I had to write and say that we have had no problems. The kids and I read this regularly at bedtime in the run-up to Christmas (low lighting therefore) and can make out all of the details, and the Christmas Eve reading is usually snuggled up by the fire with only a few candles to read by, and again, we can see the pictures clearly enough to point out everybody's favourite details.
Every review is based on personal experience, but from my own I would heartily recommend this version, it's truly beautiful and something that will stay with us for a long time. In addition, at the kind of price you can pick it up for from Amazon, it's well worth a look, even if you decide later that the illustrations aren't good for you either. The one thing you can be sure about is that you'll have the experience of a truly heart-warming Christmas experience.
66 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 November 2009
Tom Browning is a wonderful artist & his santas are truly special. This book is full of his outstanding studies of santa, overflowing with colour & magic. Particularly special during the run-up to Christmas. Brian P.
on 22 January 2005
Christmas Eve was always celebrated the same way in our house when we were children, we'd put on our pyjama's and snuggle down in Mum and Dad's bed and then Mum would read us 'The Night Before Christmas' with illustrations by D. Gorsline, (the best illustrated version by far). Clement Moores words are captivating and easy to read along with (especially the reindeer's names!) and the pictures are second to none. Even now my Mother reminds us of how we would shout 'Read it again!!!' after the 2nd or 3rd time she had read it to us. Gorslines' illustrations of Father Christmas are wonderful, just as you would imagine him. If you are looking for a book that your children will treasure and look back on with such fond memories in years to come, then this is it!
on 11 November 2009
I bought this book for my niece. I was impressed at just how lovely and well presented it was. Great value for money this book.
on 14 November 2011
I ordered this book following the birth of my daughter to start a new family tradition of reading it every Christmas Eve. I spent ages looking at various editions with differing illustrations and finally selected this version as the depiction of Santa was the closest to my childhood vision of him. I wasn't disappointed, the illustrations are beautiful thoughout and the book is a very good size for sharing between several people snuggled up together to read. I would recommend this book to everyone looking for their own copy.
44 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 November 2003
This is a delightful, enchanting and timeless book and one which we traditionally read every Christmas Eve. The book is beautifully written and wonderfully illustrated and makes Christmas Eve even more magical. I can still remember to this day the sheer pleasure I got out of reading it as a child, it's a real feel-good Christmas book and I would fully recommend it - they just don't write books like that any more!
on 22 November 2000
This book is a must, simply wonderful. The illustrations are so magical and atmospheric, it's a book your child will always think of as "the xmas book".
It's text is simply the poem "T'was the night before christmas...." coupled with extraordinary illustrations that will be enjoyed by all ages.
on 6 April 2009
Excellent book with lovely illistrations. I can't wait until Christmas eve when i can read it to my two young children. I am extremely happy with the look and style of the book and the fact that it is a hard copy. I have bought several copies for friends and family who have young children.
on 26 November 2005
I bought this for my Daughter (who is 18 months) as I wanted to introduce her to Father Christmas.
It is a time-honoured classic and the illustrations are really beautiful - I think I appreciate them much more than she does at the moment!
A really lovely book to buy and keep for now and the future.
on 9 February 2009
I bought this book for my 1yr old & 2yr old as I wanted to start getting my girls into the Christmas joy. Every night I would read it to them just before bed & they both sat engrossed (this does not happen often).