on 16 October 2002
This is the first of the Enid Blyton "Secret" series.
When Mike, Peggy and Nora's parents disappear in a plane crash they are sent to live with their cruel Aunt and Uncle. With the help of a resourceful friend called Jack, they escape to a secret island where they live together, successfully evading discovery until they're reunited with their parents. Although dated, this is still a very exciting story if you're about seven. It's fine for confident readers, and the chapters are a prefect length for bedtime reading. I enjoyed it as much now as when I was a child!
0Comment| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 November 2017
I have have my original copy of The Secret Island which my much loved Nan gave to me in 1948 as a Christmas Present. It is now much the worse for wear as I read it so many times as a child. In fact, it's the only book I still have from my childhood.
I still love the book and recommend it. I also have the Kindle version which has been "updated" to using decimal coins, as I believe most of the books have been.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 January 2014
The secret island was my favourite book as a child. I read it over and over again from the age of 7 till I was 14. By then, the book was dirty and dog eared, but still I kept it, and read it, till one day I accidentally dropped it in the bath. The pages were never the same. So, 30 years later, I've bought it again, purely a case of nostalgia, but have to say, still thoroughly enjoyed reading it! I'll keep it well away from the bath this time around!
on 2 January 2008
I started by reading my kids my favourite childhood Enid Blyton book 'The Faraway Tree' - it was such a hit with them that I have been going through all the books I remember by her.
The Secret Island was one that I never read as a child so I have had as much fun as them reading it.
The best thing about her books is that one chapter a night is the perfect length to read out loud to your kids.
I have a 7 yr old boy and a 3 yr old girl and they both enjoy her books.
Don't think that a book like this is irrelevant to todays kids either - The Secret Island is about a group of kids surviving on an Island alone - what could be more relevant today than self sufficiency, recycling and eco - living?????
I reccomend this one - as well as The Faraway Tree series and Wishing Chair series - I guarantee you that Mummy and Daddy will be fighting over who's turn it is to read the next chapter!!!!
on 25 January 2018
My 8 year old daughter is a big Enid Blyton fan and has read most of the books. She loved this series, although not as much as the Adventure Series
on 29 June 2017
I love this book as a child and wanted to buy it to read to my son and now he loves it to. Thank you for letting me travel back to my childhood.
on 30 June 2017
AN NOTHER ENID BLYTON BOOK I AM ENJOYING MY SELF ON HER BOOKS THEY ARE GREAT TO READ
on 8 August 2017
My favourite childhood book, got me through many sad times
on 9 June 2014
I bought this book and read a couple of chapters each evening to my nine year old daughter, each chapter left her wanting more. Such a great story about a group of young children who find themselves escaping from a poor home life and living together on their secret island. Can't express how much my daughter and I have enjoyed this story.
on 10 November 2015
I adored this book as a child and spent years trying to recall the name of it as an adult. I finally found it and it's a great as I remembered and takes me back to my childhood!