on 24 July 2012
I remember where I was this time last year. Another Olympic distance Tri under my belt and I start thinking...... can I do an Ironman? My tri background was 5-6 Olympic / Sprint Tri's and a marathon over a 2-3 year period.

So I went out and bought a few tri books to get an idea of whether I was "ready", and this one stayed by my bedside until IMUK

This book is perect if you want someone to tell you what to do every day, for six months, to get you to a position where you can conceiveably finish an ironman.

The workouts are really varied and kept training interesting, and the way it builds becomes clear as you get closer to race day. It definitely gave me the confidence heading into race day.

Only you can give yourself the mental strength to keep going when everything is going really (really) badly, be it in a race or training session, but this book is a great way to get yourself that bit closer to Ironman imortality

Go on ..... do it..... pain is temporary.... Ironman is forever!
on 28 July 2017
Superb book - highly recommended.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 March 2012
I bought this book as I needed a detailed, proven, reputable and cheap trianing programme to get me through my first Ironman triathlon later this year. The book itself is written in a very accessible, easy to understand way. The first half explains the justification behind the 6 month training programme, which is presented as a day-by-day programme in the latter half of the book. It is reassuring to know exactly what needs to be done and when, though for any newbies to Ironman, don't launch yourself straight into the programme - spend a few weeks building fitness or you will risk injury and burnout afer a month of following the programme (I speak from experience!)

That said, I am following this programme and have noticed improvements in my fitness, so it does work. The only downside is that the swim distances are written in yards, and learning some of the shorthand for swim and cycle drills takes a while. But once you are familiar with this side to the training programme you are fine. I would recommend this book to anybody who is doing an Iron distance triathlon or interested in entering an event.
on 1 February 2011
book has everything u need - explanations, clarifications, and most importantly DAY to DAY training programs for 24 weeks in order to prepare yourself for an Ironman. I just love the book. Authors put a bit of a humor on the pages, so it is really not boring to read it.
Highly recommended!
on 28 March 2013
I am 6 weeks into this training guide, on my way to my first Ironman later this year.

Overall, this is a great guide. It's really reasuring to know I'm following a plan, and with luck the plan will get me through the Ironman.

However I wish they had taken a bit more time to proof read the training plan, especially the swim sections. There are a lot of terms used in the weekly plan that are simply not covered in the Swim Section at the front of the book, and the guide to how far to swim each drill flips from yards to lengths (assuming a 25 yard pool I guess) to God knows what. When it isn't clear, I just make sure I'm doing the prescribed amount of time in the water and making it up as I go along, but it would be better if this was all clearer.

Also, the detailed weekly guide doesn't always match what it has in the training calendar at the back.

Finally, it isn't always clear what are Key Workouts, Optional Work Outs etc. Sometimes it states "Key" or "Optional", sometimes it uses Bold or Underlined, sometimes both, etc. Pick a system and stick to it.

These are niggles. Overall, I am happy to have a nice structure I feel I can trust to stop me worrying about if I'm doing the right things. It would just be nice if it was just a little more polished.
on 26 June 2012
this book is for someone who has previously competed in either running cycling or swimming. it is more of a finishing book. dont expect miricals or answers
on 27 January 2015
For a first-timer, having a thorough plan is great. However. from week 1 there are already some inconsistencies and errors. The swim drills are not fully explained. There are terms and explanations provided up front but then different terms used in the plan itself. Some mistakes with HR and RPM in the run and cycle drills as well. Third edition - should have been spotted and fixed.
on 10 September 2014
I borrowed this book off a friend for my first ironman and had to buy it for the second. The workouts are varied and precise, they cover the periodisation of training that you must go through, and the advice is good for when you are starting out on the ironman journey. I would recommend this for anyone who isn't an experienced ironman triathlete already.
on 15 December 2014
I bought this as a gift for my boyfriend who is completing his first Iron Man next year and he said it's very good. It has all of the training information, hints and tips he needs to prepare for the big event.
on 18 March 2013
This is the book I needed! I'm training for an Ironman and many people talk about different training programmes! Rather than try and work out one for myself without really knowing what I'm doing! This book clarifies what. Need to do! I just have to see who it works out in July!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse