Format: Hardcover|Change

on 3 October 2003
I bought this book for my 7 year old daughter who is very much into fairytales. I have always loved Greek myths but have always shied away from sharing them with my child because of the blood-thirsty content. With this book Saviour Pirotta, a writer who specialises in retelling traditional tales and myths, manages to avoid the usual pitfalls. He tells the stories beautifully and turns whart are often convoluted tales into neat, perfectly composed stories. Jan Lewis' illustrations are near perfect. The book glows with gorgeous Greek sunshine. The picture of King Midas surrounded by golden objects, including his cat, had my daughter poring over it even after we'd finished the stories. I'd recommend this book to anyone who'd like to introduce young children to classical myths.
on 2 May 2017
Interesting
on 21 May 2004
This is a truly delightful book. My daughter has been asking to hear these Greek stories every bedtime since we borrowed the book from the library. We now have our own copy, which we pore over time and time again. Pirotta and Lewis should collaborate again. They are a winning combination.
on 3 February 2005
My son loves this book. We read it over and over again. The stories are quite short and to the point, perfect for bedtime. It's possibly the best book of Greek myths on the market.
on 29 December 2012
The most attractive books on the greek myths that I could find in any book shop so I ordered it for a christmas present for a five year old boy. I loved it but will have to wait for his response.
on 11 February 2013
This book was perfect for my six year old daughter who had some time off school with a broken arm, her class were doing about Greek Myths. When she went back to school she didn't feel behind.
on 6 March 2014
I read this book with my two daughters, aged 6 and 7, and they loved it. The stories have the perfect length for a bedtime story, the illustrations are beautiful and the level of difficulty is just right. It is a great book to introduce Greek mythology to children of this age group. The sentences aren't too long or complicated, the vocabulary is manageable and there are enough illustrations to help their understanding and keep them going.
on 13 May 2008
I wouldn't be quite as enthusiastic as the previous reviewers, though this is a fair to middling book. Sometimes the ills topple over into tweeness (eg Icarus, Pandora (the very first story) and Pegasus), while others are better (The Minotaur and Jason & Medea). I don't think even very young children require blandness from an illustrator.

Many of the traditional Greek myths are quite tough and even brutal; I'm not suggesting young children want to be scared - not at all - but they can take a bit of realism without keeling over. I think on the whole the text here is more successful than the ills.

So pretty good but could do better, and I think there may well be better introductions to Greek myths out there.
on 16 November 2012
I bought this book for my 5 year old boy. He loves every story. They are a Ladybird introduction to mythology. The core of the stories, the familiar characters and the principles involved are all retained. What more could you ask for to enthrall children in an educational fashion?
on 21 February 2016
My daughter wanted this book for Christmas as she is doing greek studies at school.
The book looks good enough but sadly she has not really read it since it arrived!
I think this is a good child friendly book that is not too scary.