on 17 July 2000
As a teacher of 7 & 8 year olds, I have to write to say that this book has been THE favourite of my class this year. They were so inspired as to persuade me to adapt a story, 'Snow White and the Seven Aliens' for a school assembly last month. It was a terrific hit with the rest of the schooll.We have read the stories several times and enjoy both the humour and morality of some of the tales. We have even discussed some of the relevant topics in Circle Time during our PSHE lessons. I have recommended the book to several parents and other staff. A definite hit, I will be using it again with my new class in September.
on 18 October 2004
These set of books - 10, absolutely brilliant. My six year old has read Cinderboy.. (a boys version of Cinderella!) 100's of times and loves it along with the others in this series. All books he has enjoyed immensely. A must have for all children of primary age ! All stories are new modern day extremely funny fairytales based on the original fairytale. A definate laugh for adults too. Great for schools too. Get them now !
on 4 November 2008
As a grand father, (and P.T.A. member), who goes into the local primary school for half an hour three days a week to read stories, I have found that these 'silly' stories are very popular with the reception and first year classes. I was borrowing the books individually from the local library each time, and so this collection of all ten stories in hard back, and at this price, is an absolutely brilliant addition to my library of childrens books.
Alfie.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 20 October 2013
Having noticed one or two of Laurence Anholt's paperbacks in the bookshelves of my two little relatives (aged 8 and 5) I thought they might appreciate this book, which brings together ten of his brilliantly creative takes on that rather tired old format of the traditional fairy story, combined with the colourful and very Quentin Blake-esque illustrations of Arthur Robins.

I'm very pleased to be able to report that this book has quickly become a firm favourite of theirs. The writing is witty and the increasingly surreal alternative fairy tales have been very cleverly put together indeed. There are also a lot of rhymes included, meaning that the words flow very well. Let's have a quick look at each story in turn, shall we?

1. Billy Beast - A very clever retelling of 'Beauty and The Beast'. I wonder which came first, this story or 'Shrek'?

2. Shampoozel - A sort of cross between 'Rapunzel' and the life story of Vidal Sassoon. The hairdressing puns come thick and fast in this one.

3. The Rather Small Turnip - I'm not sure which fairy tale this is based on. All I can say is, my two little friends do not regard it all that highly. Mind you, that is less to do with the story than the fact that Arthur Robins' mouse is just too darn cute and what happens to him is just too darn unfair!

4. Cinderboy - The tale of a football-loving Cinderella, who dreams of a trip to the 'football'.

5. Rumply Crumply Stinky Pin - Clearly, we have the evasive and highly devious Mr Rumpelstiltskin to thank for providing the inspiration for this one. Now, this seems to be the part of the collection where things take a far more surreal turn - and the stories are, in my opinion, all the more entertaining because of that. Vests made from spaghetti? A man named Eyebrow Snailsocks? And there's even a naughty word sneaked in to the delightfully rhythmic 'Hubert Crumpet Trumpet-Bum', which never fails to get a hearty laugh out of my two relatives.

6. Daft Jack and the Bean Stack - Like Jack and the Beanstalk, except Daisy ends up finding herself swapped for a tin of baked beans in this version... a tin of baked beans with a 'Willie Wonka'-style surprise on the label... .

7. Snow White and the Seven Aliens - The tale of a faded pop star, her beautiful wannabe pop star stepdaughter and a seven-piece boy-band from space... . This is a really clever reworking of the classic fairy tale, and it is tremendously funny. I absolutely love the line about Snow White being led far into the wild and dangerous city and then being abandoned there with nothing more than a kiss on the cheek and an all-day bus pass. That's brilliant!

8. The Emperor's Underwear - OK. Remember the tale of 'The Emperor's New Clothes'? Righto. Well, in this story the Emperor actually DOES sport some natty new clobber, in the form of a wide selection of bespoke underpants. Which, given that he lives in a land where clothes are frowned upon, is a little bit of a problem. Especially when he hears that one dissenting voice in the crowd; 'Dat man wearing panties!'. Speaking as a fan of naked sunbathing myself, I can really relate to this story. Although, like the Emperor himself, the thought of parading around naked in the depths of winter until my 'bare botty turned blue with cold' would be enough to have me dialling the number of a couple of rogue tailors too, I can tell you.

9. The Fried Piper of Hamstring - Hamstring Town is a boring place, thanks to the Mayor's big clampdown on just about anything even remotely interesting. Like eating fried food and keeping pets for instance. So, the children of Hamstring send for The Fried Piper.

10. Little Red Riding Wolf - This is 'Little Red Riding Hood' turned completely on its head. For, lurking in the woods and ready to pounce on the sweet and innocent Little Red Riding Wolf is... the Big Bad Girl. Which means that Grandma really IS a wolf!

These stories are indeed 'Seriously Silly'. They are also, as I have been reliably informed and have indeed observed with my own eyes, delightful to read. They're great fun to read aloud too, particularly to the sort of audience that can really appreciate the sheer poetry of that name 'Hubert Crumpet Trumpet-Bum'.

You're saying it out loud to yourself now, aren't you? No? Oh well, that must just be me then!
on 22 October 2014
Have bought this on more than one occasion previously - my children adored these stories when tiny as the imagery and the text are great fun. They loved reading the "bubbles" themselves whilst an adult read the main body and now, aged 10, my daughter still picks these up for a light bed time read now and then.

So I now buy this set as wonderful presents for pre school and early school children - boys and girls alike. They are the fairy tales we all grew up with, but with a different spin and unlike the Roald Dahl fairytales with a twist these are funny (as to be fair are his) but with a less "sinister" angle. These all end with a happy ending - and invariably children chatting about the story...

And even the grown up reader won't find these too tedious.... darn sight better than the endless Charlie and Lola and the like that I also endured...
on 24 January 2010
One of the best Fairy story books i've ever read. Links really well to year 2 traditional tales unit. The stories are based on the real traditional tales but with a twist where characters are often reversed. Children love it as the humour is silly but at a level that younger children will understand. Would definitely reccommend this book.
on 11 November 2011
Fantastic book, has loads of the silly stories in one book, which
saves shelf space. My son loves any of the silly stories or rhyme
books. Your child will love these books, would recommend to
anyone with a child who loves to laugh.....
on 12 June 2014
My 7yr old daughter absolutely loves these stories, it's our favourite book. Some are a little lost on my 5yr old as I don't think he understands the original stories enough to see the funny connections but I'm sure this will come in time. I definitely recommend this book.
on 3 February 2011
These stories will delight children & adults alike with their humour & clever use of puns etc.
Children of all ages like reading them & their slightly naughty content & amusing illustrations make them appealing to book-shy children [boys like them too!] and they are great for encouraging reluctant readers.
on 14 November 2009
Like another reviewer, I bought this for my 6-year-old. He's too young for it. Partly because the language is quite 'fluffy' and also because you really need to know the original fairy tales to appreciate the twists.