on 25 May 2015
A most wonderful book for all newly diagnosed type 2 diabetics. Gives a very positive and full account of the nature of the illness and the various methods you can use to control it; and basically "get your life back on track"!! It helped me to feel more positive about my condition and got me out of the very dark place in which I found myself immediately after I had been diagnosed.
6 people found this helpful
on 13 April 2014
Diagnosed with T2 a few weeks ago. I bought and read this as may first diabetes book.

Becker Introduces you to the disease in chronological order concentrating on the things you need to know and do now at the beginning then filling in the fine details later.

As an ex-physicist turned engineer I found her explanations of diabetes, its effects and treatment to be sensible, well argued and free of quackery

Becker has alerted me to lots of things to look out for. She also shows what the choices are and isn't prescriptive

Glad I bought the book, it has helped me to take charge of my diabetes.
One person found this helpful
on 27 October 2013
I bought this a few days after being diagnosed with Type2, when I was feeling lost and confused. The level of support from my GP was woeful - 'Follow this diet for 6 months then come back. There's no need to test your glucose levels - I'll do that every 6 months and if there's no change when you come back, I'll increase your medication'. That wasn't the way I wanted to do it - my body, my diabetes, my life at stake here - so when someone recommended this book I bought it immediately after reading the description on here. I think it may have saved my life - or my sight and legs, at the very least.

It's well written and in language that's easy to understand. It starts with bite-sized chunks then later goes into more depth on the topics. I learned the importance of self-testing regularly, of monitoring your diet to see exactly how your body reacts to certain foods and how to cope with social situations, illness and holidays. The book has become my travelling to work, lunchtime and bedtime reading. It's inspired me to research some of the diets mentioned and I've begun to devise my own plan for a lifetime eating pattern that suits me and keeps my glucose levels inside a good range.

I recommend this book to any Type2 diabetic who doesn't already own it. Fabulous and life-changing!
One person found this helpful
on 17 July 2012
I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes last week and thought this would be a good book to start with. It is written in an easy to read style with lots of detail. I have almost finished it already. I'm not sure it is really that helpful as most of the information is already on the internet. I didn't really want to know the technical details. I just really needed some basic guidance on how to look after myself and what I should be asking at my medical reviews as the NHS moves very slowly.
6 people found this helpful
on 7 November 2017
Great book. Helps you through the emotional and medical elements of being diagnosed.
on 30 July 2017
good book
on 18 March 2017
Has some very handy knowledge for people suffering with diabetes
on 15 April 2014
Having read a lot of positive reviews on this book I looked forward to receiving it to gain an insight into this disease.
I read it cover to cover and learned nothing that a leaflet from the doctor didn't tell me and was just as confused,
It was really hard work to read and not worth the effort
3 people found this helpful
on 23 August 2011
This book is truely 'an essential guide' an authorative text on the subject. In fact it provided me with sufficient information to challenge my Doctor with respect to medication and his refusal to provide test strips on the NHS for my meter.
As a result of reading this excellent book on Type 2 Diabetes I am now off medication, proceeding on exercise and diet for as long as possible and now get test strips on NHS prescriptions. The author advocated in her text that "knowledge is power" and I completely agree with this statement.
on 22 January 2017
Fabulous book. If you have just been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and don't want to believe it buy this book. Easy to read, not prescriptive, but just what you need.