Customer reviews

on 23 February 2003
I love this book. There is no other way to describe my feelings for it, it draws you in with its stunning vista`s. I wish i could spend more time in the Highlands of Scotland just standing, waiting for the perfect shot to unfold, but living in the Midlands makes that a bit difficult.
This book more than makes up for it, the quality and composition of the photographs are second to none, you can feel the breeze on your face, smell the clean cutting Highland air, it totally imerses you. You can see why the Highlands captivate many a poet and artist, with the rich colours and the softness of the light there is nowhere like it on earth. Colin has captured this perfectly with this book, larger copies of some these photographs now adorn my walls and everyone who comes round comments on them. They stir emotions.
As i said earlier, stunning, simply stunning.
on 13 April 2017
Fantastic photographs, making one yearn to visit ALL of them.
on 15 October 2003
The first time I saw one of Colin Prior's books - Highland Wilderness - in a hotel in Callander, I was hooked. It is a wonderful collection of photographs of Scotland - a place where I long to live - and never fails to lift my spirits when I'm stuck in Manchester feeling a bit low. I am not a photographer but I can really appreciate this wonderful book and the breathtaking photos. Everyone who loves Scotland will love this book, especially if you don't have the privilege of living there.
on 12 November 2002
This book is just sheer pleasure ,with page after page of colour photographs showing the diverse scenery across Scotland and the Islands.
It is low in factual narrative but not to its detriment as this book focuses on the visual,and has captured many of those moments you witness but never seem to be able to capture adequately on film.
on 19 January 2002
Wonderful and imaginative photography of some of the best landscape views of Scotland I have ever seen. Complemented by some interesting technical references describing the photographic techniques used.
on 9 December 2001
This book's cover sets the tone: an epic aerial photograph of Ben More and surroundings. There are several more sweepingly romantic photographs of the Argyll area here, tracing landscapes through seasons and bringing in lots of lovely sunsets and shades contrasts. There are some stunning shots of wildlife also, such as the reindeer in snow on page 13. In the text, Colin Prior relates how each shot was set up and why he shot the photos in particular seasons, combining with the photographs to give a gloriously full-blooded and invigorating portrait of Scotland.
on 30 September 2003
This book contains the best views of Scotland I have ever seen. Others have tried and failed to recreate the stunning panoramas that have become the trademark of Colin Prior. Criticism has been levelled at the colour saturation. I say not. If you've been and seen then you know that it really does look like that. Open up and see the Scotland's unspoilt beauty and maybe catch a glimpse of God.
on 13 May 2003
As an ex Tourist Information Centre Assistant and Scotsman, I can honestly say that Colin Proir's books are the best photography books on Scotland's stunning views. This is how Scotland looks. I was never allowed to make reccommendations when I worked in the TIC, but I can now: I thoroughly recommend this book. Buy the book, then visit the places. You will not be dissappointed.
As a recently retired professional photographer just moving to Scotland for retirement and with new non-professional photographic opportunities in mind, I have been looking for books that would fulfil two particular functions. Firstly I wanted to find books that would act as a general quick guide to those photographic opportunities simply because retired folk have less active time ahead than those who are younger! I also wanted books that would achieve beautiful photography that was beyond my grasp and which would supplement my own intended survey rather than compete.

This, the first of two books that I have bought of Colin Prior's Scottish photography, easily led the field at the time of printing in 2001 in my opinion and wonderfully achieves both of the targets that I had in mind. The photography that is beyond my grasp is represented by all the wonderful views taken from rather inaccessible places and which must have required a physical effort almost beyond belief. How many times had he struggled to the appropriate vantage point, I wondered, only to find that conditions were no longer aesthetically suitable? True dedication to his craft. He also makes use of fine panoramic camera equipment that I cannot afford! The other, more accessible variety of images in the book and which even I might reach, are all equally fine and show Scotland at its magical best and most inspiring. No more need be said except, be amazed. Then be inspired to go off and try to do something similar for yourself for ultimate personal benefit.

So, as implied above, Colin Prior clearly set the benchmark for me with this book. This achievement however, has now been surpassed - the new winner is 'Highlight - a Vision of Wild Scotland' published in 2010 and, not surprisingly, also by Colin Prior. I am full of admiration. Buy both and you will be poorer financially but richer in all the life-enhancing ways that matter long term!

Highly recommended and an easy 5 stars.
on 27 April 2008
since our trip to scotland, i have bought book after book of photographs of scotland, trying to find one that captures what we saw. this one does. when we first drove into the highlands, the beauty brought me to tears. you turn round and round and take pictures that can't possibly capture what you are seeing. well, colin prior has captured scotland in this book, and i am so grateful to him!