Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 20 March 2017
I have regularly had my nose in and out of this book since I bought this! It is clearly set out and easy to follow. This is one of three 'used' books I bought myself for Christmas which were well worth it!
on 6 August 2017
I have a few of Nigel's books and this does not disappoint - friendly style - go to ideas - one to keep near to hand
on 25 June 2017
Great book as ever nigel
on 7 September 2017
Gift for husband. Thank you
on 8 December 2017
ok
on 18 October 2017
An extract from the section 'How to do it'
'There are no half-measures with using a wok, no wimp's version, no slow lane. A stir-fry stands or falls on the quantity of heat you can summon. Last time I was in Bangkok, I watched a cook & his wok. His one-handled black steel pan never stood still for a second.......His trick was to get the pan blisteringly hot & to keep the food moving. The gas roared, the oil crackled, the steam gushed up in sudden clouds as he swirled & tossed the pork & little black beans around in the pan. He sweated but never grimaced, never smiled. Once he had tipped the sizzling content of his pan on to an oval dish & slung it at the young waiters, he instantly threw his wok back on the heat with more oil & started over again.
Anyone who has tried this at home & ended up with a pallid pile of wet veg may wonder how a stir-fry can ever be really successful in a domestic kitchen. In my experience......the answer lies not simply in how hot you can get your wok, but what you have in it.....the golden rule is to ignore any recipe that says 'serves 4' (!)"
This is how a Human Being -- who is also a genius writer -- teaches earthlings how to cook, with dazzling simplicity!
Buy this book -- through 3rd party is fine! My copy cost 36p + postage: the mind boggles!
Buy all Mr Slater's books, even if it's símply for the pleasure of reading them:
I wasn't brought up on this kind of magic
-- I just wish I had been!🙏
on 3 November 2000
What a fantastic book. Not even Jamie Oliver's cheeky chappy charm can compare with the infectious enthusiasm of Nigel Slater's prose. There's nothing precious or prescriptive about Appetite - it's giving me the confidence to trust in good ingredients and instinct rather than slavishly following recipes - and making cooking a lot of fun. The ideas are brilliant and the accompanying photos mouthwatering in the extreme. This is the most beautifully produced cook book I've seen; it's a pleasure just to browse through let alone cook with. When my oven was temporarily out of action last week, I was consumed with frustration every time I caught sight of the onion and Taleggio tart. But even with just a couple of gas rings to play with I was able to prepare a delicious meal using Nigel Slater's 'quick frying pan suppers' section - tender pork escalopes tossed in a little flour and seasoning to add a slight, crisp crust, with a marsala and parsley sauce. This book should be on everybody's Christmas list. Yum!
on 2 September 2015
too much prose not enough recipes
on 10 April 2001
I normally find Nigel Slater to be the best cookery writer around at the moment. However, with this book I am having my doubts, maybe Jamie has the edge now. I was disappointed with the number of recipes, however, I suppose that is his philosophy, which I still agree with. I have tried 2 of the receipes and both did not work (not by my lack of skill I might add). But having said all that, it is definitely worth a look, and I am going to keep on trying with his ideas.
on 24 April 2017
I wouldn't describe this book as being in very good condition but I can't quibble for the price.