on 11 November 2013
To me this book is like reading an oldfashioned woman's magazine in the doctor's waiting room: very easy to read, nothing particularly thought - provoking, odd interesting details - and an unbelievable happy end!! I do like reading about the details of daily life during the Plague (or other distant time) but the whole novel was spoilt for me by the unbelievable characters and the unbelievable relationships. I have to say that I did not choose this book, it was the choice of my book group. Undemanding and rather a waste of time so it will be heading for the charity shop!
on 25 August 2017
I think I may of heard of this village some where lost in the mist of time. She has woven a thoroughly enjoyable story based on fact which I found factual and informative about a distressing event in history long forgotten.
on 10 May 2017
Excellent detailed characters. Fascinating historical info too. Not too depressing even though about the plague. Interesting bit linked to witch hunts.
on 9 October 2013
This story did not need to be 'sexed up'. The true circumstances were very sad and the Vicar acted in the best interests of the villagers. To change the circumstances of this character was unnecessary and besmirched his character. I felt the author was not sure which century she was in ....it sometimes felt like a Victorian melodrama.
on 1 November 2017
An absolutely brilliant read, I certainly learnt a lot from this book.
on 4 May 2016
I have visited the village in question and it seemed very real, not sure I enjoyed re living the experience.
on 11 October 2017
Fabulous read- very interesting and worth reading - will certainly look for other books by this author
on 24 May 2017
The historical detail is well-researched. A moving tale indeed, with an unexpected ending worthy of a present day thriller.
on 6 July 2017
Great condition
on 14 October 2017
Very well written and very moving since based on true events