Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 August 2017
I came across this book in a roundabout way. On Facebook is a genealogy group and this village with the story was mentioned. Someone gave details of this book and I found it to be available in Kindle. It has long been a story which fascinates me and I have really enjoyed the way Geraldine Brooks has created such an interesting way to interpret it. A very deserving 5 star book.
on 11 November 2013
To me this book is like reading an oldfashioned woman's magazine in the doctor's waiting room: very easy to read, nothing particularly thought - provoking, odd interesting details - and an unbelievable happy end!! I do like reading about the details of daily life during the Plague (or other distant time) but the whole novel was spoilt for me by the unbelievable characters and the unbelievable relationships. I have to say that I did not choose this book, it was the choice of my book group. Undemanding and rather a waste of time so it will be heading for the charity shop!
on 10 May 2017
Excellent detailed characters. Fascinating historical info too. Not too depressing even though about the plague. Interesting bit linked to witch hunts.
on 9 October 2013
This story did not need to be 'sexed up'. The true circumstances were very sad and the Vicar acted in the best interests of the villagers. To change the circumstances of this character was unnecessary and besmirched his character. I felt the author was not sure which century she was in ....it sometimes felt like a Victorian melodrama.
on 21 July 2017
very well written and gripping . made me feel I would like to visit he area.
on 4 May 2016
I have visited the village in question and it seemed very real, not sure I enjoyed re living the experience.
on 24 May 2017
The historical detail is well-researched. A moving tale indeed, with an unexpected ending worthy of a present day thriller.
on 6 July 2017
Great condition
on 9 March 2017
Thought it would be a good read. Very disappointed.Although it was based on fact, it was not convincing, characters were rather stereotyped and the ending was very weak.
on 2 June 2017
I enjoyed being absorbed by this book which was a fairly easy read but full of emotional turmoil and historical interest. I'd highly recommend it.