on 18 October 2017
An extract from the section 'How to do it'
'There are no half-measures with using a wok, no wimp's version, no slow lane. A stir-fry stands or falls on the quantity of heat you can summon. Last time I was in Bangkok, I watched a cook & his wok. His one-handled black steel pan never stood still for a second.......His trick was to get the pan blisteringly hot & to keep the food moving. The gas roared, the oil crackled, the steam gushed up in sudden clouds as he swirled & tossed the pork & little black beans around in the pan. He sweated but never grimaced, never smiled. Once he had tipped the sizzling content of his pan on to an oval dish & slung it at the young waiters, he instantly threw his wok back on the heat with more oil & started over again.
Anyone who has tried this at home & ended up with a pallid pile of wet veg may wonder how a stir-fry can ever be really successful in a domestic kitchen. In my experience......the answer lies not simply in how hot you can get your wok, but what you have in it.....the golden rule is to ignore any recipe that says 'serves 4' (!)"
This is how a Human Being -- who is also a genius writer -- teaches earthlings how to cook, with dazzling simplicity!
Buy this book -- through 3rd party is fine! My copy cost 36p + postage: the mind boggles!
Buy all Mr Slater's books, even if it's símply for the pleasure of reading them:
I wasn't brought up on this kind of magic
-- I just wish I had been!🙏
7 people found this helpful
on 17 November 2016
Lovely recipes that Nigel gives various options of varying the recipe to fit your appetite or food preferences. I bought this a s a second hand used book, it came very clean and tidy, would buy another used book again saving on costs for myself.
3 people found this helpful
on 5 December 2016
Great books but...I love the way he writes and theses books are good but not as good as kitchen diaries...I was disappointed that the covers aren't as shown, I know it doesn't alter what's inside but the ones that arrived are less tempting to open... pathetic I know but hey ho...
2 people found this helpful
on 20 March 2017
I have regularly had my nose in and out of this book since I bought this! It is clearly set out and easy to follow. This is one of three 'used' books I bought myself for Christmas which were well worth it!
on 3 February 2013
Very good price. Was in very good condition and came quickly. I love all these receipes and have made some and they haveallworked out well. I like the food he likes and he has illuminated my ideas re simple cooking and confidence in changing things in the instuctions if you want to as ingredients. My family and friends have appreciated my enthusiasm in making the dishes and have enjoyed trying different things with me. This book is enjoyabe even just as a read if you enjoy food! good transaction!
on 16 April 2015
I use Nigel Slater's recipes as an inspiration when deciding what to eat. I like his style and the short lists of ingredients, plus his sheer love and enjoyment of good food. I liked this book a lot.
2 people found this helpful
on 22 August 2014
Loved this book when it first came out. Somehow lost my copy in a move. Very glad to replace it. Nigel does not stick to recipes with long lists of ingredients but encourages substitution and experimentation, so that you can still make a meal even if a few of the ingredients have disappeared from your cupboard. His prose is mouthwatering.
on 6 August 2017
I have a few of Nigel's books and this does not disappoint - friendly style - go to ideas - one to keep near to hand
on 17 August 2017
luv it
One person found this helpful
on 28 February 2018
This book arrived safely in excellent condition.