Customer reviews

Portsmouth: the Shattered City: Beyond the Blitz
Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 December 2003
This interesting pictorial record of Portsmouth after the bombing of WWII, but before the re-development, is a fascinating glimpse into the city's past; especially for those too young to remember the devestation. The B&W photographs are well reproduced, but lack dates to indicate when they were taken. Frustratingly, there are no maps to provide a context for the pictures; one or two carefully chosen OS maps of the period would have transformed this book. Setting aside these gripes, the book is highly recommended for local historians and those who may wish to recall the tragic saga of this city and it's stuttering post-war re-development.
on 22 July 2013
I enjoyed very much, I was only a nipper during the war, but I remember the drone of the German planes and the noise of the explosions night after night.
My farther took my brother and myself to the Guildhall while it was still burning, a terrible sight.
We lived in Milton, but the nearest damage to us was the land mine that landed in Dunbar Road, it blew our front door down the passage through the passage door and over the back of our Anderson shelter.
I would recommend this book to anyone who lived in Pompey during the war, as it has brought many memories back.
GREAT BOOK THANKS.

HENRY
on 28 April 2011
A fascinating insight into Portsmouth in a bygone era. As a Portmuthian, it is especially interesting to see the changes to Portsmouth and Southsea, whilst still being able to identify certain areas today. The writer has a raft of knowledge of Portsmouth which he has translated beautifully to the pictures. A fantastic book to treasure.
on 26 January 2015
Being born in 1945 in Portsmouth this book brought back fond memories of my childhood growing up and playing on the bomb sites which encompassed much of Portsea Island.A great memory jerker.
on 17 September 2014
This is a very interesting book, it gets into all areas of Pompey and clearly shows how the city and citizens suffered
on 28 June 2016
Very interesting Anthony is well known for his knowledge of Portsmouth
on 1 October 2016
Very interesting, I have a lot of books on Portsmouth .
on 24 December 2012
Wanted to see the bombing effects on my ho town. the photos showed streets that my family lived in during the war.