Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Shop now Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 25 October 2011
This looks like a great book and has some good information in it, but many of the recipes are impractical.

I'm a coeliac and I'm used to tweaking recipes to suit my diet - it is nice to see a book that embraces those of us who have to (or who choose to) eat gluten free. That is a positive.

Sadly many of the recipes are complicated where they really don't need to be, you can make wonderful, simple, delicious versions of the dishes with fewer ingredients.

Also some contain ingredients you may be able to get in the trendy health food shops in the nicer parts of London but out here in the sticks you are never going to find them.

I love to grow my own food and use honey from my neighbour's bees and keep everything I do as local and natural as possible - sadly many of the ideas and recipes in the Leon book for Baking and Puddings take me away from that.

Really rather disappointed.
on 17 June 2012
I bought this having enjoyed Leon's first offering and because I'm a baking fanatic, but this must be the least useful book I own on baking. It is beautifully presented like the other books and has a similar feeling of friends contributing their favourites which is nice to read, but I haven't cooked anything from this book and don't feel I will. This is mainly because of the difficulty in sourcing ingredients and because of my lack of inclination for cooking with agave syrup or making nut butters. I would recommend this book if you have particular intolerances or are looking for vegan recipes as it seems to cater well to those not using standard baking ingredients, but for me, replacing sugar and chocolate with healthier alternatives seems to take some of the joy out of baking!
on 22 September 2011
I love all things that acquire me to cook and eat sweet and savoury food and when I got the chance to review this cookery book I jumped on it. I have always loved Leon's cookery books and this one is no exception.

I remember as a kid my mum had this fantastic cookery book that had recipes dedicated to holidays throughout the year. I love that Leon 3 is reminiscent of my childhood. However, this cookery book is so much more than a childhood fantasy, it's real.

The chapter dedicated to power snacks is amazing, I especially loved cooking Nana Goy's Cranberry flapjacks, both my boyfriend and I couldn't stop eating them. We also loved Maggie's Best Chocolate Chip Cookies.

The next recipe to try out is the Technicolour Dream Cake, ideal for my Granddad's birthday next week.

Go out and buy this book, it's wonderful. I think I am going to pop down to Carnaby Street soon and check out the Leon restaurant.
on 16 December 2011
Claire Ptak and Henry Dimbleby's joint effort is the third outing for cafe chain Leon with Leon Baking and Puddings.

A big solid book with twin ribbon book marks (these always make books look wonderful), the inside is an eclectic mix of graphics, vintage photography and funky page layouts.

Recipes are chatty with credentials from granny or ancient aunts in many cases; this book is a rare breed that makes you laugh as you turn the pages (for the right reasons).

A harlequin leapfrogging a jelly, mini footballers scaling a meringue, Desperate Dan cow pie with horns, it sounds ridiculous but it works. There's even a groovy page full of stickers at the back. This is the kind of book you could keep dipping into and notice something you hadn't seen before. One of my favourites of the year.
on 17 April 2012
This is a great book and we have tried quite a lot of the recipes already. Especially good for cakes that do not use ordinary flour. Will have to try the other books in the series.
on 27 February 2013
Brilliant if you're trying to make something lovely for people with food allergies , difficult dietary requirements or just those trying to avoid processed food . Gluten free ,low G and low fat recipes I've tried are really lovely and also have that hint of luxury so often missing from specialised baking . Well done leon
on 22 September 2011
Beautifully presented, the new Leon book looks just as good on the outside as it is on the inside. Consistently successful as books one and two, it is full of delicious new recipes I cannot wait to experiment with. A true classic!
on 20 April 2013
It's okay. I love cooking and have over 100 books. I do have a few of the recipes already but for me I was looking for something really different. The book itself was nicely set out and the results were lovely.
on 19 September 2011
I love Leon I really do. Their first book is my must have go to book and use it weekly. This whole Leon concept was founded on the idea that food can both taste good and do you good.Seasonal dishes , local ingredients and fresh produce was it's ethos. With the third book that award winning ethos has flown out the window. Leon are not know for baking or puddings. In fact even in the restaurant they are usually a disappointment compared to the rest of the menu. A book of baking and puddings is does not fit the Leon brand and the recipies are poor and can be found in many other cookbooks. The stand out recipes are from other bakers (flour station rye bread) . I would really much prefer Leon to focus on what they are good at like getting a healthy tasty meal from a sweet potato instead of jumping on a baking bandwagon.
on 29 December 2011
My wife and I bought this book for our son for Christmas. Both he and my wife really think the LEON cook books are fabulous! This is the 3rd one we have bought and find them brilliant to just sit and read, and the recipes are great. Easy to make and very tasty. I'm not a cook but I can appreciate good food! We'll definitely buy the next one too.