Customer reviews

on 15 November 2006
This is a good book - I particularly like the foolproof description of how to make chapattis. However, it is really a collection of recipes from around the world, rather than starting from the ground up. Personally I prefer the book 'bread' by Eric Treuille and Ursula Ferrigno, as I found it more methodical and better illustrated. If you are only buying one, I would recommend that instead.
One person found this helpful
on 7 November 2017
very good
on 10 October 2017
Great buy very happy would certainly buy from them again.
on 1 January 2015
A good book with beatifull pictures.
on 13 May 2015
Book looked fine outside but binding was split inside. Prompt delivery and book was really cheap.
on 25 September 2015
Very good book
on 20 January 2015
This book about breadmaking is one of the best around. I have had an old hardback version for about fifteen odd years which has been used to within an inch of its life!
You know when you have a cookery book that's covered in splashes, splodges and scribbles because it's so brilliant? Well this is one of them.
This paperback version was bought for a friend and she's already tried the old British Rail Gingerbread, which is a real stunner.
There's also an authentic New York bagel recipe that I've used many times.
Each recipe comes with a delightful little back story which tells of its origins, the travels of the authors and the bread making enthusiasts that they met.
on 10 February 2015
I have had this books for many years. I found the explanations clear and the book is really beautifully produced. I like the fact that there is usually a story behind each recipe linked to the origin or the creater of the recipes which make them special and authentic. I always come back to this book and never get bored making or reading the recipes. This is a great book to have in the bread maker's collection.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 October 2008
There are quite a number of bread baking books around that cut corners and make out that its a simple business. This book is not one of them. It takes the subject seriously and introduces one to some complex recipes that involve much time and effort, but the results are worth it. For example, the Michel Roux recipes for brioche, croissant and kouglouf are difficult but the end results, after practice, are excellent.
3 people found this helpful
on 1 August 2005
This the best book for someone looking to start baking, or are finding their bread machine limiting. It is full of excellent recipes, with lots of tips, and advice on different techniques. This is the book that took me from 'white' and 'wholemeal' to ciabatta, baguettes, sourdough and pumpernickel. Of all the books I have in my collection this and Joe Ortiz's The Village Baker are the ones that I keep coming back to.
7 people found this helpful