VINE VOICEon 5 November 2007
Like all good resource books, this one needs some adaptation to use on class. I yet have to discover a book that I can use without any adaptation - however, in common with the other books in this series, I find that my class (actually a year 6 class) love the activities that I select from it for them for early morning tasks.

Naturally, I choose the tasks with care (what teacher wouldn't?) and adapt them to suit my class (again, what teacher wouldn't?) but, for the basic cost of £3, this resource is packed full of useful ideas which any teacher from Year 6 to year 10 can adapt to suit the children that they teach.

My class always enjoy the tasks taken from this series of books and so I view it £3 well spent!

If your classes get half the joy from the ideas in here that mine have, I'm sure you will agree!
on 24 July 2016
Recommended to my by a colleague, this is an excellent book to help with starting the lesson off. I've even developed some of them to be incorporated into a whole lesson.
on 28 June 2015
A useful teaching & learning text book.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 August 2011
I would not describe these as "red hot" but they provide interesting beginnings and the ideas can be adapted quite easily. Worth the small investment.
on 12 July 2010
I thought this was good value for money and provided a variety of starters for y7, y8, y9 in both spelling and sentence structure work. The activities were fun to do and enjoyed by pupils - an excellent resource and time saver
on 1 June 2013
A good book with some very useful ideas even though I teach SEN students I have been able to make use of the ideas in the book. A great time saver, thank you.
on 26 November 2012
Great book to help English classes start a lesson - a must in every English classroom. Would recommend this for any English teacher.
on 3 April 2007
This book was recommended to me during my PGCE and it is truly the best resource I have ever bought.

I adapt if needbe but find they can be used as they appear in the book. Many simply need a whiteboard and pen, others an OHP or similar is needed.

Even though it's for KS3 I do use them at KS4 for consolidation (especially the punctuation). I think I have used about 95% of the activities.

The book is presented in an easy to use format and I can't recommend it enough, especially at the price; it isn't going to break the bank!
on 1 January 2010
Very good. Only 4/5 as some of the starters are a bit tricky to set up and it would be nice to have a wider variety of age groups and topics (eg. there's not as much in the book for y9).

Other than that, very very good and a great buy for English teachers!
on 11 July 2009
Inexpensive and very useful. OK the ideas may not be totally original but they are conveniently linked to framework criteria and year suitability so can be easily slotted into your planning.The book provides simple, easy to follow outlines coupled with effective suggestions for differentiation and provides a really useful and inexpensive resource for teachers.
This is well worth the cost and-if you have to cover a lesson at short notice, or are leaving something for supply cover, it can be a really useful part of your own teaching toolkit.