on 1 March 2004
This book contains 101 ready made starter activities. They are fully developed, though some will require a small amount of preparation of OHP, worksheets, or writing on the board, before they can be used.
They are arranged by topic and by year group (7,8 and 9), though they each come with advice on how to alter them for more or less able pupils. The book is written entirely for KS3, though some of the activities could be adapted for low to mid-ability KS4 without difficulty.
This is a very handy resource to save on preparation time or inject some new ideas with a minimum of effort.
on 22 January 2017
As a trainee science teacher I was hoping this book would come in useful to prepare starters for my classes. There are a few useful starters, but most of them seem to be revision of a topic, which are no good if you're introducing the topic for the first time. Some of the activities are fun little tasks, but not suitable as starters, and the students aren't actually 'learning' they're just demonstrating what they already know. I've given the book 3 stars as I may well use some activities, but I was disappointed overall.
on 8 June 2003
This books is excellent, I am beginning my teaching career as a key stage 3 teacher and this book has proved an invaluable resource for lesson planning. Most ideas can be used directly as starters or expanded for whole lessons. The ideas and techniques can also be taken and applied in other areas. Brilliant. A must buy and cheap at the price!
on 11 December 2003
I have found this book excellent for KS3 staters and lesson ideas. I have also found some of the ideas quite useful for low ability KS4 in some cases. The examples for differentiation are great and i have convinced others members of staff to buy it. A great source of ideas.
on 24 October 2010
This is the sort of book that should be really useful. Starters should make your students think and engage them quickly. Most of these 'red hot' starters are actually quite dry revision tasks. A wasted opportunity.
on 13 July 2011
I bought this book in my nqt year expecting it to come in handy, but truthfully I found it uninspiring and never used it.
VINE VOICEon 5 November 2007
My class really enjoy the starters provided from this series of books - and at only £3 a go, they are an absolute bargain.

Each one of them is packed with ideas for starters which, although labelled Y7, Y8 and Y9 are suitable for Upper KS2 into KS3 and lower KS4. This one also includes mental/oral science tasks that can be used with brighter KS2 children. With a little adaptation, even my weaker KS2 children have been able to access some of the tasks - but which of us would consider taking something straight from a book without considering differentiating it to suit the abilities of our children? At the end of most tasks are hints for differentiation which help us to stretch the brighter children through the task or to support the weaker children.

I honestly believe that this little series is well worth the money if you are prepared to do a bit of adaptation and alteration.
on 6 November 2011
Thankfully I picked this up for a pound, but had I spent more I would not have been happy. The starters aren't particularly original or exciting so they provide little to enhance your teaching.

Would also have benefitted from being in a different format (pdf basically) that would be easier to print off and photocopy or to display.

I'd save your money for something else.
on 23 February 2012
In short, I picked this up hoping to add a few 'little gems' to our existing schemes of work. Instead, my department wasted a few pounds on a book with little to 'bring to the table' in science teaching. There are a few good activities but most are not that well designed. A shame, really!
on 23 June 2013
Although this is written for KS3 I have used these for KS4 as a revision tool to get them interested again. Great service and excellent packaging.