on 2 February 2015
I think previous reviewers who have dissed this book for being too simplistic are missing the point - IT IS A BOOK FOR BEGINNERS - and it serves that readership very well. Clearly a lot of thought was given to who the book is for - this is a very welcome change in a computer book!
So many instruction books in computing seem to be written with no clearly defined readership (and the level of knowledge and experience they may already have) in mind.
It seems that the 'Easy Steps' series of books set a high professional level of writing and publishing skills - they target a defined readership in an intelligent way and they keep that readership in mind - they don't let their author's run off at the mouth and lose contact with the reader.
This book does what it intends to do - get you started in Java programming - and it lays a good basis for you to then move on to higher levels.
It is clearly written, intelligently structured, and well illustrated. If you are reasonably computer savvy, but not an experienced programmer, and you want to start programming with Java - buy this book.
on 17 March 2015
This is a good book, perfect for beginners.
It will help you understand the absolute basics of Java.
The book is not large and shouldn't take too long to complete if you keep at it, then you should have a pretty basic understanding to some of the fundamentals of Java.
After this book I recommend picking up a book that expands on what this teaches you and goes over things in more details.
I recommend the series of books 'Java: How To Program', which I personally find are the best books for learning Java completely.
Picking up the Java pocket reference guide would also be quite useful for you, as some of these books can get quite big and having the option of a smaller book to carry around and flick through will supplement your learning.
on 16 November 2014
I think this book is a really excellent starting point and I often recommend it to computing students just starting out in programming. It's well laid out and the use of colour makes it appealing and easy to read.

I've only deducted one star because I would have liked to have been able to read each piece of code as a whole, rather than only having it in step-by-step form.

You could do a lot worse than start with this book.
on 11 June 2012
I purchased Head First Java and Java in Easy Steps at the same time to prepare for a college course I'm undertaking in August. The reviews were excellent for both books, but for me, Mike McGrath's book trounces the Head First Java - and at a third of the price.

The book is in full colour and tastefully laid out with help on installing the Java Development Kit properly and making sure the correct paths are set up. The information is presented in a clear, straightforward manner and everything is explained well enough that I don't think an additional outside source is needed - unlike the Head First Java book which is a complete, unfunny mess.

I can recommend Java in easy steps 100% and after just a week can program small but useful programs and have assured myself I will be able to conquer my I.T. course in a few months.
on 28 February 2018
excellent book on Java if your a complete learner or just brushiing up like myself very very good. easy explained and easy to follow.
on 15 July 2017
Grandson (11) is loving it. Quite well thought out with enough resources to make it useful.
on 2 August 2016
Covers most subject areas and is a great introduction to Java, but look elsewhere if you want a comprehensive/advanced book.
on 7 September 2013
Great introduction to java (and programming in general).

A very basic overview of the language - making you want to learn more.

If you have done any programming before then the first few chapters in this book will be too easy for you but still nice to read.
on 24 December 2013
This is one of the best computer books I have ever read (and I own a few believe me!). It is well written, so simple to follow for the novice without being patronising and demystifies Java from the start.

It is comprehensive and logically laid out.

Whizzed through this in a few hours (albeit previous programming knowledge helped) but I feel anyone interested in Java would benefit from this.

Top book.
on 8 May 2016
Great series of books, I have bought others, easy to read and understand.