on 20 January 2018
Basic introduction. Very easy read. Good simple overview. I'm three quarters of the way through the book and examples after three days. Nicely laid out in colour. Several (I have counted five so far) unforgiveable typos in the simple sample code, primarily bracket related. I've been learning C# for a month now so could fix them quite easily but complete novices to programming (a target audience for this book) could be flummoxed for a while so one star off for that. Objects are introduced on page 111 of this 190 page book and the learning curve steps up quite a bit then, so you have been warned. Otherwise a useful quick get-up-and-running overview of C#.
on 23 August 2016
This book is great when used in conjunction with other online resources. However, if you are NOT an absolute beginner then you may want to use a different book, as it really does get down to the very basics.

The book is vibrant and full of examples and pictures, which guides you through step-by-step. However I would prefer if there was less "spoon-feeding", however, I appreciate this book is for absolute beginners.

Some sections could have been explained better or in a more concise manner, though, especially Object Oriented Programming. Then again, this is a tricky concept to distill down into a couple of pages.
on 21 February 2012
I have to learn fortran 90 for my course at university, but i am very interested in programming in general, so i bought this book.
I would say there are a few requirements of pc knowledge just for the set up, but this book explains everything in exquisite detail :)
Pros:-
Contains just the necessary information so you can learn without getting sinfully bored with programming jibber jabber.
examples in the book come with syntax highlighting
good price
very good for referring to for just a quick reference
Cons:- it is slightly short... there is a whole world to be explored through programming and this book just skims the basics..
I would definitely recommend this book!
on 9 January 2018
I have quite a few of Mike McGrath's books on programme from C++, CSS3, HTML5, PHP & MySQL and Python. The reason I get them is that they help me make sense of coding, especially when coding webpages and other software related projects. C# is being used on a Maths course I am delivering for gamers and this book has helped put a lot os programming concepts it to perspective in a way that can easily be adapted for teaching purposes. Excellent book.
on 2 December 2013
brilliant book for under 200 pages, don't expect to learn how to build complex programs from this book as that's not what this book is for. However it will give you the basic skills required to understand a more advanced C programming book. being as i learned VB.Net in college running over 2 years now and now going to university soon, i wanted a head start in learning the very basics of C, C++ and Java and all the books in this series (of the 3 in question) worked well in giving me a basic understanding so i don't struggle when assignments are given. However in all the books in this series there are typos in the code(of 20 or so programming books from simple HTML to advanced VB.NET only 1 has been free of typos from a number of different authors so im guessing its normal) but that helped me in ways of problem solving however i would recommend getting a better compiler then the one said to be used (some may like the one given). so a great book for next to no money, easy to follow and gives you a strong foundation to gain a better understanding of programming.
on 17 July 2016
First of all, this is a great guide for someone coming over from another OO language, even if it does spend a little too long on certain programming techniques. The layout means that you can complete hands on code examples (if you are like me and go back to the theory after the practical). If you are theoretical person first then this book would also suit you. No problems on OSX, having being able to implement everything apart from the final section in XCODE with a few compiler tweeks.

There is some important concepts that are very useful, such as pointers and references. If you are from a non OO background then the sections on polymorphism, inheritance and encapsulation will be very useful. Maybe the section on Macros could be slimmed down, as the use of Macros is generally avoided unless you are under stringent performance requirements. The final chapter known as 'visual programming' certainly didn't work on Visual Studio 2015 as all functionality of C++ in windows forms has been ditched in favour of C# instead.

Overall, I would recommend this book as it provides a decent introduction into C++ before going onto some more 'hardcore' books like 'The C++ Programming Language' by Bjarne Stroustrup.
on 25 August 2014
I've done plenty of programming before in Java, but had nearly no experience with C++. This book was very cheap and very helpful for me. It does a very good job explaining concepts such as objects (although I didn't really need them explained to me, as Java is also an object-oriented language) and pointers (which I did need explained - pointers drove me mad before I understood them).

There are probably online resources that offer a similar level of knowledge to this book, but I would still pick this up - it's nice not to have to ALT+TAB all the time, it explains everything clearly with some illustrations, and it's dirt cheap! A great book for beginner programmers or those new to C++.
on 28 November 2014
This book is simply fantastic, a long time ago i knew c++ but after a few years of not writhing simply one line of code it got me quickly back to track.
And to test the "easy-to-follow style" part i gave it to my brother who have absolutely not seen any code in his life and after a few chapters he was interested in c++.
For that i can clearly recommend this to anyone who is interested in the language.
A more personal view point is that i really love how you are not lost in the second or third chapter after the brief introduction and have to get the information from here and there.
on 14 November 2014
Good layout: each topic is presented in a 2-page spread. A nasty formatting problem on 2 pp, but this is corrected on the publisher's website.
It is unfortunate that the author has omitted any guidance for Mac users, a small but substantial minority. You need to use Xcode, a very daunting prospect without any help. I found a great tutorial starting here: http://masters-of-the-void.com/what-you-need.htm
on 17 July 2015
This book is a must buy for anyone just starting out with programming in general and who is wanting to learn C++ as a first language! I have almost completed the book and done some mini projects of my own to further my understanding of the basic features of this amazing language. I recommend that after reading this book for people to read a more complete introduction and grounding in the language such as the incredible 'C++ Primer 5th Edition' which can be found here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/C-Primer-Stanley-B-Lippman/dp/0321714113/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1437170969&sr=1-1&keywords=c%2B%2B+primer

This book is amazing for people who need to start with tutorials which use plain English and by the time you advance on to a more complete book you will have the necessary basic understanding of the language used by the people who write those books. I was a 100% novice when I started with this book and I am now moving onto the C++ Primer which I can actually understand!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!