on 8 February 2009
It's a good all around starter
on 9 April 2002
I disagree with will525252@hotmail.com in his comments about requiring other knowledge of JavaScript. I knew nothing about JavaScript prior to picking up the book and within 2 months had become fairly efficient. The whole idea is to work through the book and when you see the (p27 "but that part of the code has been omitted to save space") you should, in theory, have already learned that part earlier in the book (I had). An excellent book for the newbie. Obviously there is much more to learn after but it gives a good starting reference. And it's written in the non-technical language so even I understood it :)
on 15 February 2001
After reading many books about JavaScript I still found myself confused about some of the concepts of the scripting language. This book however, is very easy to read and understand, and covers a broad range of topics. It is an excellent book for a beginner, at a very reasonable price. However if you want to cover more than just the fundamentals you may need a more advanced book. Definitely the right book to start off with though.
on 6 August 2001
I had tried (unsuccessfully) to learn JavaScript a number of times before using some thick expensive books but it was only when I worked through this book that it began to make sense. I found the examples in the book were clear and easy to understand so I could try them myself. I now consider myself to be a fairly proficient JavaScripter thanks to this book and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to learn JavaScript.
on 17 February 2009
I first bought the xhtml book from this publisher and was completely disappointed with it and quickly resold it to a second hand book shop. Then I made the mistake of getting this book. Javascript in easy steps is not a book to learn Javascript period. It covers some basic ground but not alot else. It has more fluff than actual programming content and I'm actually a little surprised that I see any good reviews here at all.

If you want to learn Javascript, get something from 'Reilly or Sitepoint.
on 11 February 2003
The title of the book a bit misleading, there are no steps to follow, easy or otherwise. The book begins with basic explanations, and then departs into unworked examples throughout. Nothing builds, examples serve to confuse, and parts of code that should be full working examples simply do not work. I tried the book's 'browser id', 'cross browser layers', and another few allegedly working examples to no avail. From this book I learned very little. I resorted to copying code from the web for my own pages. It has put me off the 'easysteps' series, I now look to the 'visual quickstart guide' series, and have had more success. Simon.
on 27 June 2001
I've bought umpteen Javascript books (of the 1000+ page variety) and this knocks the pants off them. It lacks waffle and at under a tenner it's spot on.
on 23 March 2002
When I first got this book, I was very confused as I knew nothing of any programming language, and there was a lot of implicit knowledge in the book which was hard to pick up on. On re-reading the book after learning Java for 6 months, it is actually very helpful. I think a more apt title for this book would be "JavaScript in easy steps for JavaScript programmers" since it is very easy to use and a good book if you know some programming principles, but is nigh on impossible to follow if you don't!
on 10 March 2002
Definitely a must-have for the beginner javascript programmmer, 'Javascript in Easy Steps' is one of the best books out there. Even if you just want to copy the quick, practical scripts (pop-up windows, layers and mouse tracking etc), then it's still worth the [...] asking price. Although this book is very clear and concise, it would probably be best used as a step-up from a simpler book that covered the very basics.
on 25 July 2001
This attractively produced book is irritating in the extreme. Many of the examples shown do not give the full code (p27 "but that part of the code has been omitted to save space"), so the interesting looking examples cannot be completed by a beginner, without extensively referencing other javascript books, or knowing a lot more about javascript than the Easy Steps series would imply. It is assumed the author wants you to look back at his previous examples to add missing code, but there is no indication of what to put where. As everyone knows the smallest mistake in javascript even with the 'debugger' can take hours to find. This is largely a pictorial reference book.