on 29 February 2016
I thought it was ok actually. I'm an ex-backpacker so I bought it as a holiday read and it was quite good, brought back some good memories and suspect the era this book is based on isn't long after when I was in this area. To criticise this book for potentially embellished is a bit harsh, if you had doubts about this then you shouldn't have bought it, I doubt some of it is true either, but you have to let yourself go and go with it. I thought there were a couple of holes in it, like someone else pointed out, that if one of the friends had died you'd have made a lot more attempt, or at least documented that, you tried to get help and search after him instead of just getting a job on a farm straight away. Maybe John should re-write this bit. Apart from that I thought it was quite good. I'm a travel snob so I thought the route was a bit predictable and uninteresting but the story itself is quite exciting, even if it does seem to burn out the last few chapters. Would have been good with an update right at the end maybe as to what the two remaining friends are doing these days, as I presume this happened at least 15 years ago. I see some reviewers were giving John a hard time for some of his behaviour as a backpacker, but I think if you buy a book called The Backpacker you have to accept there could be some bad behaviour going to happen. It's like buying a book called The Student then being shocked when someone got drunk! Bottom line, regardless of whether its all true or not, as a holiday read it's a pretty good little tale, especially if you are or were a backpacker yourself.
5 people found this helpful
on 19 January 2018
This is the worst book I have ever read. The author is a terrible human being. Some over-privileged clown, who 'finds himself' on holiday and decides he is going to write a book about it. Most of his 'experiences' are at best embellished and I suspect a lot are fabricated.
Don't waste your time. I actually shredded my copy as opposed to leaving it around for others to potentially read
2 people found this helpful
on 4 January 2017
I used to travel to Thailand and Asia a lot in my younger days so could really relate to the story line of this book and how anything can happen when you least expect it, especially when you're young and up for any adventure, with limited consequences to face. I thoroughly enjoyed this book which kept me reading for hours; I was gutted when it ended!
on 20 January 2018
Having travelled myself some 20 years ago, admittedly my experience wasn't quite the same but this book tells a story that kept me hooked from the first page. Well done John Harris, a pleasure to read your tale. My only problem now is keeping my wanderlust at bay....again!!!!
on 7 September 2017
Great first book by John Harris
a must read if you are going or have been travelling
cant wait for the third book
also good to read where I used to live
on 13 February 2018
excellent read
on 19 March 2014
I enjoyed reading this book despite it being a little different to what I would normally choose .I enjoyed the element of travel in Asia as this is an area I have been to and love.
The highs and lows of John's trip were compelling reading, being quite an adventure!
on 27 May 2018
A good account of backpacking life. Those that have been on the road for a few years will empathise but there’s a bit too much of the take in their personalities to be truly likeable. Hey, maybe he’s just being too honest. Enjoyed it.
on 22 March 2017
Totally Brilliant
on 7 June 2015
A lot of the bad reviews on here I feel are unwarranted. The book is a good book, not the best book I've ever read but well worth a read. The adventures these guys get up to are crazy and anyone who is interested in the whole backpacker travel thing will enjoy this. Just because you don't agree with things he does doesn't mean that it's a bad read in my opinion.