on 16 November 2012
I read this book really quickly and enjoyed every page. I loved the characters especially the likeable rogue Serge, but I did sympathise with the author's wife!
on 23 October 2009
A very enjoyable read. Humerous anecdotes of how Serge rips off the unsuspecting inhabitants of the rural community. I would love to have had a bit more padding about other aspects of John's life in France but perhaps he is saving this for a future book, I do hope so.
on 24 June 2014
A lovely read, original and funny. Well written, feels fresh and genuine. It was a pleasure to read.
Has Serge come back yet? :)
on 14 September 2010
Entertaining and fun to read, but I find it hard to believe that it is all entirely fact. Serge Bastarde is surely either a fictional character, or a genuine real-life person who has had his antics exaggerated somewhat. Just doesn't ring true.
Steve Foley
on 22 April 2013
Liked this one very much, very realistic, humerous, witty just what I would expect life in Rural Franch to be like - well done
on 6 June 2015
Funny, very evocative of making a life in France without the poncification of "A Life In Provence." Very enjoyable.
on 28 May 2014
a laugh out loud book which will resonate with anyone on the flea market trail. a great book for the summer holidays
on 28 January 2013
I enjoyed this book but not as much as I had hoped. Found it a little lacking in content but quite amusing.
on 26 August 2015
5 star brilliance, love this book and the follow up "son of" need a third one Mr Dummer please !!!!
on 18 December 2011
Enjoyed reading this book as I travel to France on holiday each year, but also it just made me laugh!