VINE VOICEon 19 September 2008
I was pleasantly surprised by this little tome. I've read similar collections before (such as the Oxford Book of Humorous Quotations) but almost all the quotes here were new to me, and some of them were very funny indeed, or at least offered a little nugget of wisdom.

They're listed under a variety of chapter headings (such as Insults or England and the English) and the book itself is attractively presented. I particularly liked the inclusion of lots of modern comedians, such as Stephen Fry:

"I'm against animal testing. They just get nervous and give silly answers"

Or excerpts from Blackadder - I'd forgotten the series was so good. But these are set against bon mots from philosophers and Shakespeare. I particularly liked Betrand Russell's explanation why people like me routinely give misquoted quotations.

All in all this is a very British and very witty collection, just like it says on the cover.
on 24 August 2010
Bought as birthday present for someone who is quick witted, loves factoids and quotes. Packed with witty one liners, it really hit the spot with their sense of humour. Will be purchasing more in the series.
on 29 January 2013
Until I read this book, I had not realised how satisfying wry and succinct British humour is when read on its own. Much gives pause for thought.
A book of nearly 300 pages,it was compiled for thinking adults.
Quotes included are from Stephen Fry, Terry Pratchett, Winston Churchill, Alan Bennett, Julie Birchill, Quentin Crisp, Lord Byron, and others, well known.
It is unlikely to offend.
It was re-printed in its first year[2005],3 times.
on 20 March 2015
I ordered this for my father's birthday. He dipped into it constantly and chuckled each time. He drove us mad by reading out anything he found particularly amusing. A very good present!
on 8 August 2015
Prompt delivery, items better than expected. Only problem was that due to my error when ordering I received two identical books when I actually only wanted one.
on 16 December 2014
Nice little book of amusing sayings, some old chestnuts and others I'd not seen before.
on 5 August 2015