Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 November 2000
A man once said to me, if you continue to do what you do, you'll get what you've got. This made a lot of sense to me, as obviously everything you currently have, material or otherwise, you've obtained by doing the things you have previously done. Taking this one step further, if you are not happy with your lot, which most people are not, then it makes sense that you have to do things differently, in order to change what you have.
This is where this book comes in. How do you do things differently ? What do you do differently ? Where do you find the extra time from ? Do you know what you want to achieve and what do you do if you don't yet know ?
Most people don't get this far in the questioning process. If they do, this is where they get stuck. This is the point where people give in to their inner voice which is telling them that they should be happy with what they have achieved and to be grateful for what they have.
The elephant and the twig is that missing piece of the jigsaw, the road map that shows you the way up lifes hill, where to find the fuel stops on the way, and ultimately break that twig that's holding you back.
Remember, the grass sometimes is greener and you've got just as much right to be enjoying it as anyone else.
Simon Glynn
on 24 July 2000
Having suffered from low self-esteem /depression for all of my adult life to date, I can wholeheartedly recommend this book. Follow it's 14 steps and you can't fail to find some solutions. It's easy to follow, fun to read and he really knows what he's talking about.
on 5 August 2015
Trying really really hard to be positive ( hence two stars)but nothing really new here. It's a bit like being locked in a room with a self congratulatory bore whose smugness really has you climbing the walls. Obviously the author is some people's cup of tea, hence their paying to walk with him etc. However to many times I was shaking my head in disbelief at the stuff he was coming out with. I'm sure he is very nice man and appeals to many. ( see trying!!)

Update: in fact the more I think about this book the more disturbing I think it is. I find the use of the word 'rape' in its contexts offensive. His writing regarding his ex wife (on one occasion her size😐) borders on the misogynistic, and references to his wife making him tea and toast downstairs makes me concerned about what he constitutes as a good wif. The reference to his many many friends approaching him for advice as if he is some sort of guru who has it all sorted again is very grating and adds to the smug tone of the book.

Update 2: ok, kept returning in the hope I could learn something. Let me offer a typical quote
(she was a big girl our posty, the cheeks of her arse each had different postcodes).

Funny??
This man is a renegade. Please do not buy this book hoping for some wisdom or insight. The other reviews must be from his mates' who approach him for as device. God love them. Please please avoid.
on 1 April 2015
There are many self help books to choose from, and all of them have at least one good tip. But I believe there's something that makes certain people, and the advice they give, extra special. It's this: what comes from the heart, goes to the heart. I feel Geoff's advice deeply, and am certain that's directly related to where it came from.

He clearly has had a tough life, and yet converted it to great wisdom for others (including his 'new' self).

I thoroughly recommend this book, especially if you're in the mood for a straight talking boost.
on 20 June 2001
I have read and re-read this much loved book. I am back on this website buying it yet again for yet another friend who faces challenges. It really inspire you to snap the twig and make a run for your hearts desires. Keep writing Geoff you have started a STAMPEDE... ONWARD!!!
on 8 November 2001
If you want practical advise from someone whos been there, taken the knocks got up and kept on going buy it.
Mr Thompson is where he wants to be because he never gave up and this book is simply inspirational........
on 13 July 2000
A must read. Typical Geoff Thompson approach, real life situations, real working solutions. This book brings home the truths that we all know but are afraid to face. Read it and as Geoff says apply it. There is a world of difference between those that think it and those that do it. 14 steps of personal development, which if applied you cannot lose from.
on 15 October 2014
I really enjoyed this book a lot. Geoff doesn't speak to you like he is above you, he describes what it was like for him when hes life wasn't going how he wanted it and what it was like as he went about changing his life. I havent read his other books but I have read this one a few times and really enjoy the story
on 7 January 2011
The Art of Positive Thinking - perfectly describes this book. I think the way this book is written is brilliant! If you want something a little different from you usual self help type books i think this book is a invaluable. I have only read the first 50 pages but struggled to put it down once i started. I consider myself a upbeat & positive individual on whole but reading this book has made me think about things from a different perspective . I only have positive feedback for this book! :o)
on 2 May 2011
Geoff's writing in this book is inspiring without becoming too patronising and 'self-help book'. For me the chapters seemed to go off topic a lot, there's a fair amount of (undeliberate) repetition. I don't think this book was actually edited, and so there are quite a few irritating typos and misspelt words. Still, the message applies to most walks of life, particularly those who wish to be masters of their own destiny/career.