on 5 December 2000
I stumbled in this book my chance as I was browsing for reference material on health and hygiene. As the author and I share the same rather unusual surname, a hotel background and a love of travel to far flung places I thought this might be 'my kind of book'. I was not disappointed.
Alec Le Sueur gives us an accurate and extremely amusing behind-the scenes look at hotel life. Hoteliers will find memories come bounding back as Le Sueur's tales remind them of similar experiences. How little the guest knows as he obliviously whiles his days away in his 'luxury' hotel!
For the traveller - both real and armchair - Le Sueur takes us on a journey through his Tibetan life, sharing with us his thoughts and observations. He gives us a rare insight into this mysterious country as he is one of just a handleful of foreigners who have spent such a long period of time living in this closed world.
At times his tales are thought-provoking, sometimes poignent. For the most part they are so funny I found myself laughing out loud.
This book is a mu-rad for anyone with an interest in Tibet or an appreciation for the 'funny side of life.'
on 25 December 2002
What a delightful book this is. So many books about Tibet are worthy but not very readable. Alec Le Sueur doesn't preach or lecture, he entertains. He doesn't need to go into lengthy explanations of history or politics he just tells you some stories of life running a hotel in Lhasa... What is most wonderful about this book is that it exemplifies the very joie de vivre for which Tibetans are known. He shows us the oppression that exsists in Lhasa and yet somehow also reveals to us the atmosphere that a Free Tibet could and should enjoy. Magical and very very clever.
on 1 August 2000
I loved this book. I've read some of the more serious Tibet books which I find quite heavy going. This guy gives you a good understanding of the situation and the plight of the Tibetans while at the same time giving you a really good read. There is his 'British sense of humor' that evidentally kept him going through the strangest of situations and even a romantic angle arrives too. Definitley my favorite book this year.
on 31 October 2001
The book starts well and gets better. Mr Le Sueur writes lightly and well, describing difficulties but making them seem funny. It is not as cringeworthy as Fawlty towers, but there are definite similarities. One of my favourites is the chapter about the "Miss Tibet" competition which is renamed into the fashion show. The book is also very informative about Tibet and the situation with China. Very human, very funny, critical and pure joy to read.
on 23 January 2003
After reading "worthy" or serious, data-filled books on Tibet, it is a joy and a relief to find a book that's funny, so easily readable + yet still manages to make serious points which linger on after the laughter has passed. Lightweight, or just seriously lighthearted? Whichever, for me Alec's writing has breathed life into an alien world not experienced by most. I only wish there were a few more Tibet books out there like this.
on 14 May 2005
I have never felt that i wanted to write a review on a book before, but this book is such a nice, honest story and one where you really want to keep reading... i have been reading all sorts of books about tibetan life but this one actually tells of characters just like the people i met on my travels, without delving into the politics.
i did thoroughly enjoy it as a read on my daily commute, and can honestly say i was still giggling during the day and telling colleagues about it, but also wish it had been longer.
Would recommend it as a great read about real people from a Westerners' point of view.
on 29 June 2004
This is a must read for any traveller. You can anticipate whats round the next corner, but no that couldn't happen, yip it just did. My only negative point about it is that I took it to read on a two week holiday (I'm a slow reader), and I was half way through it by the time I landed in Kathmandu, you just can't put it down.
on 31 July 2011
This is one of those books that from first opening you simply can't put it down . The writer draws you in with his honesty , humour, ,and eye for detail . So much so that you actually feel alongside him and the other characters who he introduces us to .ExPats , Chinese and Tibetans We are left feeling each one is known to us . For all who feel the modern health care of Europe leaves much to be desired ... then read about his visit for a medical to the hospital ! My word he is one brave man .Glad he survived to tell the tale .. A must read .
on 25 June 2016
An excellent account of Alec Le Sueur's five years in Tibet. It details his extraordinary working conditions and circumstances amid the backdrop of political, cultural and social upheaval. Despite the immense working challenges to achieve even the most basic of tasks, Le Sueur details how the immense and enchanting wonder of Tibet, with all its gloriousness and spirituality, inspired and enraptured him.

At times comical, stark, shocking, surprising and even bizarre, it's a book you should definitely read. Le Sueur's dry wit and prose serve to take you on the very journey that he took, into the Himalayas to the hotel sitting on the roof of the world.
on 14 April 2000
A delectable book filled with the devastatingly funny experiences of bringing western hotel standards to one of my favourite places in the world. The smells, sights and sounds of Tibet are laid before us to experience, without the altitude sickness. The adrenalin boosting flights on China Airlines, the soaring beauty of the Himalaya's, saffron coloured in the dawn light and the cultural complications of working with the delightful locals and cosmopolitans who are involved in the project are a literary feast. We fell out of bed laughing! What a gem!