on 31 May 2017
Actual rating = 1.5/5

I've always wanted to read Stardust ever since I first saw the movie (all those years ago). It's the one Gaiman book I was really looking forward to reading. However, I actually found Stardust completely different to what I expected and, oddly, I think I actually prefer the movie. This book is definitely not for kids, unlike the movie!

I do think Stardust does stand apart from the rest when it comes to originality and I did enjoy the story somewhat. Of course, a lot of memories watching the movie came back to me whilst reading this. However, I just did not find Stardust as fun as the film and, in all honesty, it felt like a real slog just to read it. I only wanted to finish it because it's such an iconic book (in my opinion). For being quite a short book I actually spent over two weeks trying to finish it.

The characters were okay, but Tristran definitely has a knack of annoying me and Yvaine came across a bit helpless a lot of the time. I just really could not connect with them.

Stardust is also told from various points of view and they didn't always occur in parallel to each other (from how I picked them up anyway). There was a lot of backwards and forwards. The point of view also changes without much warning so it was sometimes tricky to keep up and, I must admit, I was confused at times. Especially when it switched between the witches.

The plot also dragged a bit for me. From what I gather, Stardust occurs over a few months to years - I'm not too sure - so there were whole periods of time where nothing happened and it was just hard to imagine the time passing.

I also found some parts of the story very strange, even for a fantasy. But all the twists tied up in the end and I actually thought the ending was quite lovely in its own way.

Overall, I'm glad I finally read Stardust, but I am disappointed that I didn't like it as much as I'd hoped to. Let's just say, I probably won't read it again. However, oddly enough, I would still recommend it to anyone looking to get a taste of Neil Gaiman.
on 1 June 2017
To be honest, I was pretty sure he d love this, before I even picked up the book.

I'm a huge Neil Gaiman fan, and to date, there hasn't been a single book of his that had disappointed me, and this one was no exception.

As with most Gaiman books, it begins with a collision of the normal and the fantastical. In this instance, it's the village of Wall, which for centuries, had guarded the entrance of the land of Faerie. Tristan, a young lad from the village, is hopelessly in love with Victoria - so much so that, when he sees a shooting star fall to the ground, somewhere far away in faerie land, he vows to go and retrieve it and give it to his beloved.

There's a problem with that plan, though. The star is a girl called Yvaine, she's got a broken leg, and what's more, she doesn't want to go with Tristan. Even worse, a few other people (including a very nasty witch) are after her too.

I don't spoil the plot too much, but Gaiman fans can expect the usual - clever, twisty-turny plots, lots of fabulously creative characters and plenty of pace. It's gripping, wildly inventive and occasionally amusing - just the sort of writing that I find a joy to read - escapism at its best! (less)
on 5 June 2017
I didn't realise this was the book of the movie until about 1/3rd of the way in to it, and thought "This all sounds damn familiar"... I really really enjoyed the movie, and was turning pages like a blur, so it's no surprise I like the book as much as the movie.

Yes, as with all adaptations, there are changes between the two, but unlike some adaptations, the movie merely substituted a few things which were possible cinematically, where following the book would have been visually confusing. The structure, characters, locations, and story are all very similar to each other.

As with all things Neil Gaiman, the story is brilliant, and set in a semi-magical corner of our world, which is connected to a magical land where anything's possible. A young boy who lives on the periphery of magic sees a star fall from the heavens and decides to go find it, to present it to his true love. From these soppy beginnings grows a fantastic tale of wizards, witches, bizarre creatures, and anthropomorphisations of physical objects which are in the very best vein of fantasy authors.

This book is very entertaining to read, and is a great little story to boot.
on 8 April 2017
A falling star gets knocked out the sky by a family heirloom and Tristian decides that he is going to brave crossing the wall into the forbidden fairy land to retrieve it. 'It' turns out to be a 'she'. In this way he can prove his love to his 'intended'. On the journey he runs into all sorts of characters good and bad.

I have never been too bothered by Neil Gaiman books (i'm in the minority, I know), and this one doesn't really improve my opinion. It was an ok book, but struck me as a very formulaic fairy story. Nothing really jumped out and surprised me, nothing stunned me with its originality, it was just a little bland for me. That being said it has everything that should make it a great book, a noble quest, witches, magic, tension between the main characters, a whole host of colourful side characters.........
It just didn't excite me, but was a nice enough way to pass a few hours reading time.
Beautiful fantasy adventure by the master author, Neil Gaiman. Although many people have told me the movie is even better than the book, when it comes to this story, I was still enchanted. This is the tale of Tristan Thorn, the young man who went searching for a fallen star in order to win his hearts desire. It's the stuff fairy tales, as Gaiman effortlessly weaves his imagination with some of the most loved nursery rhymes of our past.
I can't wait for my daughter to read this. It's a great book to share and suitable for young, mature readers.

Now I'm off to watch the movie.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 February 2015
Where fairy tale meets fantasy, sword and sorcery, and a smidgen of sci-fi, all perfectly engineered as only Neil Gaiman can - as we embark in the company of young Tristran Thorn as he journeys from the frontier town of Wall and out into the mysterious lands of Faerie, in pursuit of the fallen star that he has rashly promised his beloved...

A grittier odyssey than the film (the murders, the sex scenes, and the toilet humour guarantee it!), this is an adventure of pure imagination and excitement; and for fans of Mr Gaiman - a must!
on 22 June 2017
In my opinion, this man can do no wrong. Especially as he is a former collaborator of my hero Sir Terry Pratchett! And Stardust is no exception.Having seen the film I did have the story in mind already but I'm glad to say that, as is so often the case, the book was better despite a reasonable effort by studio/actors etc.Mr Gaiman writes so vividly that it must be a joy to 'film' his work. His characters, whilst fantastic, are so well defined that they feel to be in the room with you as you read. Another book that I shall return to time and again when I need a break from the drudgery of 'real-life'.
on 19 June 2017
Absolutely loved this book! Such a lovely happy read, the film was based so closely to the book. Definitely worth a read, short but amazing. Definitely recommend if you like fantasy
on 19 June 2017
Gaiman has a simple style of prose that captures the innocence of reading fairy tales as a child. Nothing better to take with you in the barrel over nostalgia falls!
on 16 May 2015
Ive seen the film of this book and it was aazing so when I got this book I had high expectations and I have to say I was very pleased. It gave a very exciting and interesting read and I just couldnt put it down. I would definitely reccommend. It wasnt exactly the same as the film though but thats definitely to be expected!