on 24 March 2017
Was recommended to read this by a friend, and it is an excellent illustration of life as a worker and the gulf between the working and non working classes. What is interesting and disappointing to note is how little things gave changed over the years - workers earning low wages, hired and fired, trying to deal with health problems and bringing up children. Well worth reading!
on 20 June 2016
Anyone who takes our NHS and welfare state for granted should read this book
on 7 July 2017
A book to get you thinking. The problem though is that the people that need to think more probably wouldn't buy it . Robert Tressell's thoughts on women were ahead of his time. A book that is sad and funny and thought provoking. I didn't read this in one sitting it was a book that I had to keep coming back to. I don't know if that was a problem with me or the book. Glad I read it .
on 21 November 2015
Pulls the reader into a time when life was really hard for the majority, and extremely cushy for the privileged few. A hundred years later and you can still relate to the themes. Some would say it's as true today as it was then. Let's hope we never see the same level of social injustice on this country ever again?
on 25 April 2016
This is quite difficult reading emotionally, but it really needs to be read. It shows the need for Unions.
on 8 July 2016
One of the best books I have ever read. Politically biased but excellent. It gives a very real view into the livesd of the working class at the turn of the century. Its quite an eye opener I can tell you.
on 14 August 2017
I read this book many years ago..... heavy, difficult to get into BUT.... once you start to understand where the author is coming from..... it becomes clear that this is an immense tome ! I bought it as a gift for a new friend who, as the son in law of one of the guys that work for me, acted as an unpaid guide on a visit to Nepal. He is studying for a masters degree, after a long and enjoyable day of sightseeing and philosophising with him... I concluded that this book would be of great benefit to him. I hope it becomes so.
on 13 July 2013
This is an amazing book and everyone should read it. It is actually life changing because so many things in the story apply today and I have found myself looking at things in a slightly different way. It is funny, sad and makes you very angry. No wonder it is not on a recommended reading list for school children. It might make them think. It is a free download and having just read it, I am ashamed that I have not read it before. It is no coincidence that one of the food bank charities is named after the author. A free download too!
on 8 April 2017
Do not be put off by the age of this book. Written in 1911. It could have been written today. Actor Ricky Tomlinson accredited this book with turning his politics 180 degrees. It is FREE for most E readers.
on 30 September 2016
As a 21 year old welder/fabricator it's almost scary to see how similar conversations are at the present. Cannot believe school never touched on this great piece of working class literature. It's a crime.