on 27 September 2011
Few things give as much pleasure for your money as the Wordsworth Classics series. The books themselves may be cheaply produced, but the price makes an incredibly wide selection of classics accessible to any keen reader - now there really is no excuse for not having at least one Dickens, Wilde or Austen in your collection.

This particular classic - the extremely popular Hound of the Baskervilles also comes with The Valley of Fear. I won't go into the detail of the stories - other reviewers have done this superbly already, so I'll just comment on the actual quality of the books.

Unlike the Study in Scarlet/The Sign of the Four Wordsworth Classic, this book includes illustrations, which whilst not the greatest quality in the world, probably owing to the paper stock, is still a nice addition and breaks up the flow of text nicely. The cover artwork on the whole series of Conan Doyle books in the Wordsworth Classics range are beautiful and make a great looking set.

Yes, they feel flimsy, and yes the paper quality isn't the greatest in the world, but at this price they're ideal for reading on the train - or even leaving for someone else to enjoy, whilst your beloved leather-bound first edition is sitting safely on the shelf in your study!
2 people found this helpful
on 25 April 2013
I believe The Hound of the Baskervilles to be the definitive Sherlock Holmes story. Perhaps it is less exciting than some others, perhaps less insightful and less adapt at showing the way Sherlock works, but it is the most well rounded, most suspenseful of all Conan Doyle's stories. On the other hand, The Valley of Fear is perhaps his weakest effort but, as far as poor cousins go, even this book is a jolly good read despite the inaccuracies regarding the religious group castigated by the author.
3 people found this helpful
on 30 August 2009
This is the first Sherlock Holmes book I have read, I have seen the films and the television adaptations, and I always enjoyed them. I enjoyed reading 'The Hound of the Baskervilles', I thought Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's style of writing was excellent, Sherlock Holmes is very charismatic and likeable but I liked Dr Watson more. 'The Hound of the Baskervilles' is an excellent piece of storytelling which is wrapped up nicely at the end.
on 7 April 2018
Great product . Delivered as expected.
on 16 March 2013
I have aways been interested in Sherlock Holmes. But, this was the first time I actually read one of Doyle's books. .
I can only review, the Hound of the Baskerville since i have not yet read Valley of fear.

All in all, good characters, gloomy setting and superb storytelling. I felt as if i got sucked right in and found my self not ready to leave.
I have no proof of the following, though I feel that it is important none the less. It does seem like Americanization has also been implemented in this book, of what i can read from other reviewers, this is typical of Wordsworth.
We should respect and appreciate the originale text, as much as possible...
on 26 March 2014
It was smaller than I expected but otherwise good. I knew the story before I got the book, but it was ofc much better to actual read it, and I like the fact that there was small pictures inside it.
on 2 May 2017
good book, a real classic
on 26 February 2017
A perfect cheap and quick purchase.
on 11 February 2014
I had seen this on TV and wouldn't have thought of reading the book but it is a Book club choice. Was pleasantly surprised. Is slightly different from TV in a good way. Excellent value.
2 people found this helpful
on 26 April 2011
I have never read Conan Doyle before, but now I'm hooked !
Not just a good detective story, but brilliant descriptions of the moors and you can picture the characters exactly.
I shall definitely be reading more Sherlock Holmes.