on 14 December 2013
Definitely recommend to those who cannot read it in German, but would like to get a full view on Goethe's transcendental perception of humanity - a key element to a deeper understanding of Western Culture; secondly, mainly the first part, to those who are keen for a poignant love story which is beautifully laid down before us in stunning meter and rhyme. John R. Williams arguably did what very few literary scholars have ever achieved - he adopted a complete work of Goethe's without runing into artistic decline.
4 people found this helpful
on 4 January 2016
An interesting and fine translation. It would be very fine, but there are occasional problems with the metrics. By and large, though, this is the best job since that of David Luke. Inclusion of the "Urfaust" make this a definite plus.
on 21 January 2018
Amazing book probably one of my best literature book.
on 2 February 2017
wonderfull book
on 28 April 2016
All good.
on 3 February 2018
The timeless classic still has things to teach us today.
on 11 May 2015
Excellent
on 21 July 2004
I found this very entertaining to read. It is written aesthetically, (and this is maintained in the translation, not that I have read the original German), and is an engrossing story. I'm sure that there are many allusions and philosophical parables to be found in close study of the text, but I just found it an enjoyable read without having to take it too seriously. Mephistopheles is a brilliant comic character, but there are also subtle insights into the depth of his evil as well. The minimalism of the characters other than Mephistopheles and Faust is stylish and makes the story all the more memorable in retrospect. Reading this makes me feel that all stories should be written in verse, if only the authors were skillful enough. Even though I have only studied Shakespeare at the usual school level, I can see what might be Shakespearian influences or things that remind me of Shakespeare; perhaps this was in places done on purpose by Goethe as a tribute to Shakespeare.
As far as I can tell, the translator has done a miraculous job. One of my favourite lines in the play is:
"But write it all down, concentrating
As if it were the Holy Ghost dictating!"
16 people found this helpful
on 2 February 2004
A beautiful piece of literature, and one that is still relevant today. I have performed this work and I can truly say that the writing in it is skillful and inspiring. Excellent, whether you are an actor, literature student, or simply an interested layman. Fantastic sutff from Germany's premier play-write.
3 people found this helpful
on 10 January 2013
Everyone should read it as it has so much to say about the meaning of life for everybody - and that is it
One person found this helpful