Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 August 2005
This book is a meaty read and quite heavy on the science aspects of training. But Metcalfe uses clear mountain bike examples to get his point across. I liked the step by step approach which helped me build a training plan that was specific to me. I aim to go through the processes outlined in the book each year to update my training programme. For this reason it is well worth the money and is a valuable reference guide.
on 18 July 2005
This was just what I needed to give my performance a boost. I had been training haphazardly for years and wasn't really improvong each year. Using this book enabled me to organise myself and sort out a training program. I have got fitter and my results so far this year are showing that I'm improving. If you want to save youself time and effort get hold of this book.
on 9 November 2014
Very good. If you this geeky about your MTB training then you going to read a couple of these anyway. They all say similar things in slightly different ways which is what you want to know if getting skilled up to do your own training program.

Also hearing that is reassuring in that the basics you need to do are quite well defined. On the next revision the author should have a look at the Mountain Bike Training by Schmidt and put more tables and graphs in this one.
on 20 October 2014
The book is pretty complicated and hard to follow. I feel as though its probably aimed at professionals or semi pros. The routines in the book are confusing and not very helpful for me as I only wanted a few tips and simple routines to increase my fitness a bit. It is probably very good for pros or people who have enough time to do hours of training every day. Also the book is a bit outdated as it only caters for either downhill or XC riders.
on 4 March 2015
Pretty technical book - a lot more complex than I was expected but following it through and it will help. Probably a little more scientific than I necessarily wanted - was looking predominately for more exercise plans, but its an interesting read none the less
on 11 July 2005
Not much advice for the general reader looking to use a mountain bike to get fit but plenty for the aspiring proffessional racer.
on 18 February 2011
The front cover may look a bit 'old school', however the information inside is very informative on how to tune your training. Great book well worth a read if your considering mtb for fun or racing!
on 16 October 2009
This book is easy to follow, and has lots of good stuff, everything you need to know about becoming a fitter rider.
on 6 February 2014
This is a very good book. It helps you think about your fitnessbkevel. And how to jmprove at a professional level. A*******
on 20 September 2013
I had this book under used it was in immaculate condition and I only paid a few pound for it! Bargain!