Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 January 2015
If you want to understand what genocide or even simply war looks and feels like, then the years under Pol Pot's brutal rule as told by a child is hard to ignore. That mankind can do this to one another is depressing and horrific. The story is beautifully told through a simple view of war, loss and hatred as experienced by a child. That she survived is remarkable, and despite the scars and nightmares of her survival, she found the voice and words to tell the story of her family, the war and the escape. Terrific book.
on 24 May 2016
I was made aware of and read this book whilst travelling through Cambodia. It was heartbreaking to read and eye-opening as I wasn't aware of the extent of what had happened. As I visited the Killing Fields and S21 during the day, I read the book in the evening - maybe it was about too much. I read the book within a week - I was hooked. I googled between chapters to find out more information. What happened in Cambodia and has happened to others around the world is truly devastating.
I am amazed at Luong's account of what happened, take her name away and this represents what many went through. I thank Luong for sharing this story.
on 1 May 2017
Couldn't put it down. Already read survival in the killing fields. Several visits to Cambodia. I am involved in a children's project there too. This book is different, it's written on the authors experiences as a child. The effects are still there, especially out of the tourist places. Heart breaking. I don't know how the survivors got through it. I feel pained in my heart from reading it.
on 12 June 2016
An excellent read in to what went on, I am leading a world challenge group to Cambodia and it was recommended so that I would have more of an idea about the events before we go to share with students, it gives a god account to family life and the time.
on 29 June 2017
From the very first page I made my connection.. opened my heart to the pain and heartache suffered. Brilliantly written. Thank you for sharing your painful journey with us. Sally..
on 7 February 2016
Heartbreaking book that took me a while to read because it is so emotional. It is a book that more people should read and hopefully after the film version has been released more people can be aware of this story and the horrors of the Khmer Rouge.
on 5 November 2015
I read this book because my daughter was going traveling to south east Asia, the places she was planing to visit made me interested in the tragedy that these proud people endured. All I can say is that it's one of the most thought provoking books I've read in some time. The genocide that happened in Cambodia in my life time should never be allowed to happen.
on 1 August 2017
Amazing story. I couldn't put it down. Truly unbelievable what happened in Cambodia and not so long ago! Sad book but well worth reading.
on 2 December 2016
Very moving account - especially if you're visiting Cambodia as I was. Account of the inhumane killing/hardships of the Pol Pot regime very effective through the eyes of a child... recommend going on to read ' After they killed my father' - adds a lot to the power to recover.
on 10 September 2014
A good story but lacking in depth in places. The title was rather strange in relation to events, a small point I know. In all though a well written account which I read in a day. If you buy the kindle version, which I did, you do have access to the family photographs which I feel is important to understand some of the cultural elements explained by Ung. Fortunately I came across this book in the airport in Cambodia so was able to view the photographs there.