Customer reviews

Storyworld
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 29 July 2009
I bought this book on a whim when I saw it in my local bookshop today. I've been reading, selecting and buying books for individuals all my life, and have a pretty good eye for them, and this one appealed to me for my 12 year old daughter, who has something right up at the high functioning end of the autistic spectrum. She's not been the easiest child lately, thinks the world (well, particularly her class) is against her, and is a little tricky to get through to, but this caught her imagination straightaway. She asked if she could have a look at it, then asked if she could be left alone with it, and then produced the beginnings of a story, together with the 'blurb' (her words) for the back of the book she had decided to write!

Makes it so easy to set a child off on a journey of their own, and I'm looking forward to seeing the new packs, and how my youngest daughter reacts to it as well.

And we'll definitely be taking it to school next term to show the English teachers!
20 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 23 July 2009
I pre-ordered this having seen it advertised on Amazon when I was looking at some of John Matthews books on Celtic Mythology and it arrived about a week ago.

The book and cards are housed in a box which itself is a bit like a book in that you open it out and the actual book is on the left side and the cards on the right. When you close it, two magnets (unseen) hold each side together. The book is hardback, well written and the short descriptions on the cards are helpful.

The cards themselves steal the show as the artwork, done by four different artists, is stunning - really stunning.

I know this is aimed at children and the intention is to 'unlock one's imagination' through the art of storytelling but I think this has a great appeal across all ages because it brings out the storyteller in all of us.

For myself, I bought this partly out of curiosity and partly to see if it could help my creative/imaginative juices flow particularly when writer's block sets in. Three days ago I selected a group of cards and after a few minutes had a plot and story developing.

I've also enlarged some of the cards on the printer (the quality of the artwork is was not compromised) and then laminated them because the artwork is so beautiful (sorry repeating myself).

I understand 4 more sets are in the pipeline: Faery World, Quests & Adventures, Animal World and Sea Adventures.

I'm very happy with my purchase.
29 people found this helpful
on 28 October 2009
Delightfully complex illustrations, each of which has an individual story to tell - but the story will be constantly changing. All the wonders of an infinite number of inner worlds.
4 people found this helpful
on 25 July 2009
I saw this product advertised in a book magazine and out of curiosity I also pre-ordered it, and I wasn't disappointed, as a teacher, who is also interested in creative writing I found the cards and the book amazing. The artwork is so detailed but at the same time they give you so much scope to create your own stories and ideas. I am looking forward to showing them to my class in September and can't wait to get the other cards.
10 people found this helpful
on 30 October 2009
i bought the story world for my children and they absolutely love it. they have lots of fun with the stories and improves their imagination. i would very much recommend it. fantastic.
2 people found this helpful
on 22 December 2011
There is no limit to the doors these cards open for the writer. I love them. They got my poetical juices flowing like a river of ideas.